Dac that has tone and timing?

I’m hoping to see if anyone has experience and has found a dac that nails both a "meat on the bones" presentation that also preserves the leading edges of notes and maintains pace, rhythm, and timing. In general, it seems that tonally dense dacs tend to have rounded-off leading edges of notes, and dacs with great PRAT have a leaner tonality. I’d love it under $5k but willing to spend more if necessary.

schw06

Showing 2 responses by psf4972

@schw06 

If tube MHDT DACS are on on your radar, you might also look into a classically trained musician-made DAC that is fast, alive and richly musical: Abbas DAC 2.4SE, or his other variants using different chips. After Meridian, Chord Quest, and other units, this one is leaps ahead in terms of soundstage, air and space, dynamics and tone. Made in the western suburbs of Kyiv. My 2.4SE+ was ordered and delivered during the war with no issues. If there are any, they are taken care of. Enjoy your search. 

@schw06. Re: Abbas DACS, Just saw this on Hifi Haven website, dated 10 Aug 2022, echoing my findings: “Both myself, the two local friends who also purchased a 2.4SE and now the new owner all agree that Abbas DACs are transformative. Hard to explain but simply put all other DACs we’ve heard till now sound like music being played from a stereo. With the Abbas put into the system it changes the sound in such a profound way that it’s as if music comes alive in the room and fleshes out into real instruments and singers into your room”.