DAC that compete with EMM M3 and playback design m6

I like the sound of AMR cd 77.1 but these are far and few available. What I have heard on line with both Meitner M3 and Playback design m6/8 is a similar sound. Very open analog sounding. 

playback designs is just $$$ way out of reach. The Meitner is closer but at around 7k is just not in the cards. Looking for recommendations of similar sound quality without spending an arm and leg. I currently own a Cary 306/200 cd player and have enjoyed it and have thought about looking for a Cary 306 professional model

dvdgreco

In Playback designs range is also very good APL Hi fi   -  APL   DSD AR  dac.

A Playback Design Merlot DAC would be an excellent choice. Retailed for around $6k new and you can find them used for around $4k. Very well reviewed when they were released and will give you a significant portion of the Playback Design house sound that you are seeking. If you use USB input, the Playback Design USB-X4 device converts USB to the PBD PLink optical input, is compatible with the Merlot, and can be added for a nice SQ upgrade.  

@markmuse interesting.  Goldensound also has a decent review of T+A vs another one 1/2 the price and find the latter has deeper stage and better layers 

@quattr0 The DSD Mk2 is actually a little more expensive than the T+A, but clearly worth it from my perspective.