dac recommendations for turntable listener?

hi everyone, kindly asking for your dac suggestions. im almost 100% a turntable listener, but recently picked up a DirectStream Dac for those times I cant find the vinyl, its too expensive, or it simply doesn't exist. im looking for suggestions as im not happy with the DirectStream dac, its just not to my liking. its too sharp up top, too thin in the lower midrange, other than that everything else is pretty great. id like to get, if possible, a dac that sounds more like my turntable. I feel like I would get mostly there if the midrange was fuller, and the top end was softer. 

my current system is marantz tt15 , dynavector 20x2, icon audio ps3 mk ii, primaluna prologue premium, and elysian 4 speakers. 

the current dacs I was looking to switch to were lab 12 dac, primaluna evo 100 dac, lampizators entry model, or Merason DAC 1. does anyone have experience with these and can recommend them? 

thanks a lot! 

Anthony 

128x128palutena

The Sonnet Morpheus is a great R2R analog sounding DAC with very nice built in preamp.

+1 on adding a better power supply to the Node. This should help with the sibilance, tame harshness and add more clarity. I highly recommend Fidelity Audio in UK. Their Reference interface board and LPS make an exceptional difference. But the Teddy Pardo and PD Creative options are also good, and less $$.

Glad you isolated the difference the room can make. It can transform the sound of any system, typically at a lower expense (and significantly less risk) than new electronic gear. Good acoustics will allow you to accurately assess your system and adjust it to your listening preferences. 

To your original question, I settled in on the Asthetix Romulus Eclipse CD/DAC unit. Being a tube hybrid, I was able adjust the top-end harshness of digital to my smoother "analog" preference by rolling the tubes to NOS Telefunken and Amperex Bugle Boy, and I found the process to be fun and educational. 

FWIW, my streamer source is a Lumin U-1 and interconnects are Synergistic USB and Transparent XLR,   

Good luck.

I know, this might not be your price range (and neither is it mine if I'd to pay list), but I just got a MSB "Discrete", the junior model in the MSB stable, and playing DSD256 it is almost indistinguishable from my analog versions of the same tracks.

I found mine on the Aussie AudioMart site for about 50% off (good present exchange rate helped): one of the best purchases I ever made. The "naturalness" , stage depth, and complete absence of the usual "in-your-face" DAC presentations (like the DirectStream, which I had five years ago, and most other ones in the sub-5K dollar range) makes my listening truly enjoyable and non-fatiguing. As an analog vinyl head, I can honestly say: this is almost it!  Up to now, I was quite happy with the Gustard R26, another resistor-ladder-DAC, which is now for sale at USAudioMart. You might want to check it out.