Considering Zu Dirty Weekend over my current B&w 702s2

I’ve felt for a long time (since I got them) that my 702s2 floorstanders have excellent “analytical” sound but are just missing the “life” that I want from my system. I swapped my Parasound P6 preamp for a Schiit Freya+ with some nice tubes that improved things significantly, but still feel a long way from the sound I want. I’m strongly considering the Zu Dirty Weekend 6 to replace the B&Ws, but I realize that’s a pretty big step down in “level”. So I’m wondering…am I going to regret it? Anyone have experience with both speakers they can share?

ps running Bluesound Node 2 as the main source and Parasound A21 amp. 

eburb

webking185 Have you compared B&W speakers with Zu? If not, how do you know which would have "better sound," or "better tone and mid-range." Who are the "lot of people" who say Zu speakers are bright and fatiguing? I own a pair (I believe the least expensive one they make) and they sound nothing like a guitar amp speaker. Like you say, the only way to know for sure is to own a pair, and they have a try-it and return policy. As far as having a 200-watt amp, there is really no hard rule about what type of amp would mate well with a given speaker.

B&W speakers will have better tone and mid-range for sure.  Alotl of people.have said Zu speakers are bright, sound fatigue, and even a guiitar amp speaker.

@webking185 You obviously have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about and couldn’t be more wrong.  

Thanks @webking185 but I agree with a few of the others - I’m mostly interested in hearing from people with actual experience with these speakers (or at least brands). I’ve done plenty of reading reviews and forums to gather something along the lines of what you write, but “hearsay” opinions aren’t very helpful for this sort of situation. I think I’ll probably just order some Unions or Dirty Weekends so I can compare head to head. But thank you anyway! 

@eburb 

but “hearsay” opinions aren’t very helpful for this sort of situation. I think I’ll probably just order some Unions or Dirty Weekends so I can compare head to head. But thank you anyway! 

Agreed! 

Very good idea that I strongly encourage. Compare the Zu speakers in your own system directly against the B&W. You could be in for a pleasant and happy outcome. Nothing beats listening for yourself.

Charles

@eburb, order and give it a shot. You can belive I'm not the only one saying it. Again, I'm not saying they aren't good speakers.  The entry level DW, are entry level speakers.  Its when you move up in princing to the Soul6 that will probably have a better sound image. I've heard Zu DW, I didn't like what I was hearing, but maybe the higher up models are better.  I can for sure say B&W is superb speaker that brings warm sound, with great mid-range tones and vocals.  These speakers will match with tube or SS gear.  This forum can be biased and doesn't accept honest opinions well.