Considering a Backert Rhythm 1.4, talk me out of it

Hello everyone,

I have been in the market for a preamp for a couple of years.

I have already tried a Cary SLP-05, which had some issues that gave me one of the worst customer experiences ever. I also tried a BAT VK-33SE which was a bad match for my system - not only did it sound thin and had less life than no pre, the soundstage collapsed.

A while back, I had settled on the Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3, and while saving up the cash, the 1.4 came out and a series of price hikes. We have gone from about $8K to the current price of $12,900.00 after the most recent price hike.

At $8K the Rhythm seemed like a pretty safe bet, everyone seems to think it hits way above its price and I like the design philosophy.
$13K though opens a lot of doors. Not only could I get something like a Zesto Leto II new, I could get a Pass Labs XP-32 used.

I listen to mostly Progressive Rock, a bit of Classic Rock, a fair amount of Trip Hop, and some acoustic music. I have a special love for mezzo-sopranos singers, and rock drummers like Ginger Baker and John Bonham. 

I am very sensitive to sibilance and mid-range distortion. I appreciate a fast rise in a kick drum or piano note, a smooth crisp decay of symbols, and an open soundstage. 

I am not married to having a tube preamp, and am open to solid state.

I have a couple of things that I must have: low gain (under 13dB), and able to accept the 5.8V balanced or 2.9V SE from my DAC. This eliminates some really good gear like the GAT II (20dB gain ?!?).

There are some things that I really prefer: Fully balanced circuit, remote control, HT bypass.

EveAnna Manley very strongly recommended the Steelhead with a SkipJack since I really need attenuation more than amplification. I have two issues with this, one is that the Steelhead does not get any love when used as a linestage, and two, I would feel a need to start down an upgrade path with my turn table. I would be very interested in any comments from people with a Steelhead.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the Rhythm and possible alternatives. I do not really have a budget. I prefer to spend $8Kish, but am resigned to paying $13Kish. I doubt I will cross $15Kish. $11K for something really nice sounds like a good compromise.

System:

i9 based server running HQPlayer and Roon > Sonore Optical Rendu >

Holo May KTE DAC > Manley Snapper Monoblocks > 6pi Corner Horns (104dB sensitive)

joshua43214

Get an Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp for half the cost and enjoy a state of the art preamplifier for literally peanuts. That’s sure as hell what I am doing.

I think Backert gives you a 14 day return option.  Check with them to be sure.  Rising prices are killing everybody, so you know what to do about it in the fall.

Go for the new Rhythm 1.4. Get some NOS Mazdas and be mesmerized. Have fun!