Component matching expertise - how do you do it?

I tend to rely on a dealer and expertise when it comes to pairing components.  And with what I read and other peoples experiences.

I am incredibly impressed when I read commentary by people who really know what they're doing when it comes to matching components.  Factors such as impedance, curves, amp power, and recognizing that some components don't get along with other components and keeping in mind specifications which are inherently complicated to really understand.

What are some of the key things people in the know look at when they are deciding between components being Incorporated into their systems?  

emergingsoul

Take a look at Srajan Ebaen’s 6moons audio reviews. For example check out his speaker reviews for the Cube Audio Nenuphar v2 and Qualio IQ. Two speakers made by the same principals that have two different approaches, requiring different considerations, and resulting in very different amp choices. He’s very good and consistent in his review approach and you can glean a lot of useful information from them.

I know stylistically he’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but if you can get past that, then there’s a wealth of information on offer. 

Experience with a lot of different gear really helps, plus learning how to listen.

Gear by the same manufacturer is probably going to have great synergy. Although I have not followed that advice. 

@mofojo

Yes, but no one really knows why or if it’s even true. A lot of that is probably marketing driven.

mr @ghdprentice gave a really great comment up above. I like to mix and match, I think it shows Independence. Definitely need to use matching speakers and matching mono amplifiers. How strange to mix and match those.