Component contributions to “sound stage”

What components in your stereo system do you think make the largest contribution to your perception of sound stage in your system?  Which element or component contributes the least to this part of the stereo listening experience?

Rankings are fine.  Justifications or explanations are even better.

kn

Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing

@elliottbnewcombjr , I totally agree with you!

Just a quick observation from me. After not having changed a component in almost a year, I took a leap and spent close to 4k on a new vacuum tube preamp with self generating power. I could not believe the enhanced separation and much improved sound stage. So, for me at least, my preamp upgrade made a big difference with regards to the OP's question.

Thanks folks, this is interesting.  I assumed most folks would start with the speakers, but it’s interesting how many started with the recording.  Keep it coming.

kn

In my experience, synergy between amplifier, speaker, and the listening room play a dominant role recreating sound stage, granted it is captured and recorded. Of course, your playback system should be able to faithfully extract this information. Speaker placement (Hey, it is free!) is very important. Speakers placed too close to the back wall, or too far out can also distort the sound stage. Floor reflections as well as side wall reflections also alter the sound stage.

All components contribute. But, I guess speakers first, then preamp, and all the rest including interconnects and cables. You don’t want any weak links.

I have to agree when you feel you have a great system and soundstage it is a combination of the right pieces. I was very happy with my system and read on here about putting slugs in place of fuses. Someone mentioned the Swiss Digital fuse. I did some research and all the reviews were good and they had a money back no questions guarantee. I thought hard but went with the reviews and got some. Best money spent in a long time. The sound stage is unreal. Got a pair for some VTL 240 monoblocks I use. I was very relieved when they performed as advertised. I didn’t think I needed to do anything more and was concerned about damaging what I had. Thinking minimal difference at best but I was wrong. Far better. It is worth looking into.