Comparison of sonic qualities of some tonearms

I’m relatively new to the world of vinyl, listening seriously for probably only 2 years.  Of course, many big picture items (e.g. turntable, phono stage, cartridges) are discussed extensively on this forum, but I haven’t seen much discussion comparing different tonearms.  I would be interested to hear about different people’s experiences with different tonearms, mentioning the audible advantages and disadvantages of each tonearm, realizing that there is no perfect sound, although from what I read about others’ experiences, SAT tonearms may come closest, albeit at a very high price.  

drbond

@rauliruegas 

Yes, the standard pivoted tonearm has a 1-1.5 degree tracking error.  The linear tracking tonearm that I have mounted (Reed 5A) has a 3-4 minute tracking error (which is 1/15-1/20 of a degree);  I don't know if it is this lower tracking error is responsible for the difference that I hear, but it seems reasonable that it could account for the improved soundstage that I hear when playing the LT tonearm.  

Did anyone ask @drbond what the goal is with another arm? Improvement over the Reed (which looks very nice)? A second arm for mono or a cartridge that likes to see higher mass?

If you want an amusing read, go find j.g. holt's original review of the Transcriptor's arm- it is a hoot to read and the back and forth with the manufacturer in the follow up comments to the review are equally funny.

I have no overarching view on the merits of various tonearms- since I'm not looking at specs, and have to hear them in situ. 

@mijostyn 's comment about the lack of bass from a conventional linear tracker is fair, but somehow, changing the cartridge-- Koetsu stone, adding subwoofers and readjusting the entire system to a new room gives me dimensional, very filled in bass that sounds natural on the lower registers with acoustic instruments- piano, double bass, etc. So, even that "truth" about the lack of bass in the conventional style linear tracker can be shaded by context and may be system-dependent in my experience. 

I am going to offer a slightly different perspective here as there have been several mentions of the Safir in this thread. I own a Safir and combine it with a Koetsu Blue Lace, a Koetsu SUT and a CS Port turntable. I have progressed through five different analog combinations over the past 5 or 6 years, ultimately arriving at my current setup. I had previously run an Audio Oragami arm on a Palmer turntable and so the change created by the Safir was truly material. 

I understand the potential for multiple types of bias in evaluating the impact of a new component and unfortunately the audiophile game doesn't lend itself to blind studies and controlled A/B testing (cartridge buying, for example, is often a leap of faith as what dealer will "lend" you a cartridge to try?) We can read reviews and look at the measurements and test data, but in the end it comes down to the actual sound. I recently read a review of some new Dan D'Agostino equipment and Dan was quoted as follows:

"In the end, I'm only interested in how good a component sounds. I'm never going to make something that sounds impolite, buzzes, hums, or only works with a certain speaker. But I do not care about the measurements when I look at my Audio Precision or HP stuff. When it shows me a reasonable output and indicates that it's doing a good job, that's all I care about."

For me, the Safir brought a new level of presence to the music I love (Bill Evans, Art Pepper, Steely Dan, James Taylor, etc) and I heard detail previously lost. And more importantly to me, there was nothing "tiring" in the reproduction and so I can listen for hours and enjoy. And when I then moved to the CS Port and added the new Koetsu pieces, I again heard and experienced a similar improvement. 

I will leave it to others to debate that on paper (or in specs) there are "better" choices, because in the end it really should come down to how the music sounds. 

@thr1961

Thanks for sharing your experience with your tonearms.

@whart

The purpose of this thread isn’t necessarily to improve my system. Given my limited experience, I found it rather odd that no one really commented on tonearms, as I’ve found that they can make a sizeable difference in music reproduction. I really just wanted to hear about others’ experiences with their tonearms, but it seems like very few have taken the time to investigate and experience on their own.

Dear @thr1961  : As you said a bnew audio item in our system changes the " picture ", we are prepared and expected that that can happens.

You own a very nice system and the problem with the Safir it's not if you like it or not ( as we said we are prepared for that . We are prepared for the new kind of " distortions/colorations " that we can't avoid. ) the real issue is those dynamic mass 60grs. under play for the cartridge it self and for the cartridge tracking due that the Safir in reality is an unipivoted design and no matters what from there comes unstability/chatering and the like that develops what we like on it but that tonearm sooner or latter will damages your Blue Lace with that " insane " EM and if you are prepared for that then go a head. At the end you already paid for it and is what you like.

I read about the Safir in other audio forums and read magasine reviews and only in this Agon forum we put the finger where it " painful ".

R.