Comparison of sonic qualities of some tonearms

I’m relatively new to the world of vinyl, listening seriously for probably only 2 years.  Of course, many big picture items (e.g. turntable, phono stage, cartridges) are discussed extensively on this forum, but I haven’t seen much discussion comparing different tonearms.  I would be interested to hear about different people’s experiences with different tonearms, mentioning the audible advantages and disadvantages of each tonearm, realizing that there is no perfect sound, although from what I read about others’ experiences, SAT tonearms may come closest, albeit at a very high price.  

drbond

Showing 1 response by vitussl101

Well, @lewm is partly right.  I haven't heard a real tonearm comparison in thirty-five-plus years.  Back then there were dealers, mainly Linn who might have as many as three LP12s with three different arms and a Supex 900 Super on all of them.  But those days are long gone.  You have to travel to different cities just to listen to tonearms on your list let alone set up in any way that you can make an honest judgment call.  And as far as shows go, well, you might be able to look at them.