Comparing Rythmik F12 and F12G: Which is Better for Music and Movies?

I'm currently in the market for a new subwoofer and I've been eyeing the Rythmik F12 and F12G models. Both seem to offer fantastic performance, but I'm trying to determine which one would be the best fit for my needs, which include a mix of music and movies. After doing some research, I've found some interesting insights that I'd like to share and discuss with you all.

Main Differences:

The primary distinction between these two models lies in their drivers. The F12G utilizes a paper-based driver designed by GR Research, whereas the F12 features Rythmik's standard aluminum driver. According to Rythmik's website, the paper driver is lighter and has a more extended response compared to the aluminum driver. It can handle higher crossover points, making it the preferred choice if you plan to cross above 80 Hz. Additionally, the paper cone's lower mass results in slightly better dynamics at low to moderate output levels. However, it's worth noting that the paper cone is not as stiff as the aluminum driver.

Real-Life Differences:

Now, the question arises: how do these differences translate into real-life performance? Some users have reported that the F12G is the more musical option, with a sound that's often described as fast and dynamic. The paper cone's lighter weight and foam surround are said to allow for deeper bass extension and more excursion, which can contribute to a more immersive listening experience, especially with music. However, the F12G does come with a slightly higher price tag compared to its aluminum driver counterpart.

Pros and Cons:

To summarize, here are some potential pros and cons of each model:

Rythmik F12 (Aluminum Driver):

Pros:

• Stiffer cone for more precise bass control
  • Potentially better for movie soundtracks with deep bass effects
  • Slightly more affordable option

Cons:

• Limited crossover options due to heavier cone
  • May not excel as much in musicality compared to F12G

Rythmik F12G (GR Research Paper Driver):

Pros:

• Lighter cone for faster and more dynamic bass response
  • More extended frequency response
  • Often praised for its musicality

Cons:

• Higher price point
  • Localization issues at higher crossover points (above 80 Hz)

Seeking Input:

I'm really torn between these two models and would love to hear from anyone who has experience with either the F12 or F12G. Can you actually hear the difference in real-world usage? Are there any other factors I should consider before making my decision? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

thxbest

Get the music right and the HT will be fine. I’d go with the 12G no doubt.

÷1

@thxbest, I use a combination of two F12Gs and two F18s in one of my rigs. Depending on the content that’s playing, I can switch back and forth or use both.

For music, there’s no real beating the F12G. The GR research open baffle sub could give the F12G a run for its money, but, the GR is also a bit of an eyesore (poor waf).

P..S.

I have a friend who has the dual opposed G22 and claims it is the best sub on earth (if it fits your budget). But, I have not tried that sub in my rig.

I have two F12G, cabs filled with NoRez, and a Swiss Digital Fuse Box on each with a copper slug in the fuse holders. Epic bass for the money.

Good news: You should find that either will make you happy! The difference between the two is relatively minor.

I suggest going on the AVS Forum (for Rythmik Audio) and AudioCircle (for GR Research) and read what current owners of both models have to say about each.

If you want the lowest inertia drivers and a higher than 80-100Hz crossover frequency, another option is the Rythmik FM8, which features dual 8" woofers. Probably not optimum for movies, however.

Post removed 

I can vouch for the F12G and Rythmik. I purchased one along with the SVS3000. I kept them both for years before moving on. I'd say out of the 2 the F12G was better and more adjustable. The nice thing about the SVS however is they have an app that offers control on the fly, but FWIW I didn't use it much once it was set up the way I wanted it.