Comparing Phono Pre-Amps

Oh Boy, here I go...

Do you all feel there is a easier way to compare Phono Pre-Amps besides connecting/disconnecting each one?

I have thought about if there is a way to take the output from a TT and send it to 2 Phono Pre-Amps and from there, those 2 pre-amps could be connected to an Integrated and from there, you simply switch back and forth?

I have been looking but have not come across such a device.

From what I have researched, most comments have stated to simply have long listening sessions with both back and forth and I get that but wish there was a ability to switch immediately between two.

I know the thought is doing so would introduce all kinds of unnecessary variables that would ultimately degrade the sound and defeat the whole purpose.

But I guess from a technical standpoint, can it be done?

Thnx

128x128jay73

Long listening sessions are a good method.  However, if A/B switching is desired too, then use two turntables to do quick switch A/B listening.  Many of us have more than one turntable.

Of course the tables will not sound the same, but differences can be noted from the A/B listening, then swap the turntables into the phono preamps and listen to what differences switch or persist.  This would help extract differences attributable to the turntables vs the phono preamps.

Cartridge loading has to be considered! By loading alone, the same cartridge can sound different with different phono sections, owing to things like input capacitance and high frequency overload margins.

So an AB comparison using a switch at the input will not produce accurate results, unless the correct cartridge loading is introduced as well.

High output MM cartridges need loading because their inductance is so high that when put in parallel with the capacitance of the cable, a resonance can occur at the upper end of the audio band or just beyond it. This can cause overload problems which can result in brightness as well as ticks and pops as the front end of the phono section overloads. It can also cause brightness because the resonance acts as a tone control.

LOMC cartridges have far less inductance, so the resulting resonance so high that it acts as Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) being injected into the input of the phono section. This is why some phono sections for LOMC cartridges have loading switches, not for the cartridge so much as it detunes the resonance, preventing the RFI and the brightness it can cause. However, some phono sections are designed by people that know this phenomena occurs and so don't need any cartridge loading at all. So the LOMC cartridge might sound bright on one phono section and not on the other, although when loaded the bright phono section might sound just fine.