CLASSE - Great amps or highly flawed?

Some love them. Others criticize:

Highly colored.

Midrange nice, but euphonic & not accurate.

Highs rolled off, and given an electronic sheen.

Overall dark sound.

Imaging only so-so.

Lack transparency.

Textured sounding.

Bass somewhat lacking definition & loose.

What's your opinion??
kevziek
Their smaller amps were anything BUT "dark" or "rolled on top". I would have called them "lean and bright" if anything. The bigger amps are notably mellower from my experience. Either way, it's like anything else: system synergy and personal preference. I will say that i consider them to be "well built" though. Sean
>
It seems like those critics use Krell or some other bleach white(not colored) amp as a frame of reference. All I can really say, however, is that with my speakers (Hales), Classe is magic. The first time i heard the Hales/CA-300(store auditon) was the first time I was truely impressed with hi-fi. My heart pounded, my eyes watered & I even clinched the arms of the chair a bit. I have heard Hales with other amps, and I thought they sucked. Very boring, and/or hard on the ears. For SS, Classe rules.
It really is just a matter of preference. However, there is nothing that is highly flawed about it. Sure, it is in good terms, smooth, and a bit relaxed sound. In additon, it has tendency to compromise the "digital blues" quiet well. It may not produce the most accurate sound and the tightest low range, but by no means it is highly flawed.
It does not tire you out when running a long session like some other amps. plus a great sound stage.
Martin Colloms, respected British reviewer, reviewed the Classe CA-200 in Stereophile, Feb. 97. He said the amp had a audible sheen or emphasis in the treble, adding a breathiness to vocals. He also said that pace, rhythm, dynamics and listener involvement were not addressed in the design as much as smoothness and a relaxed, laid-back sound.

He admitted that he was "not totally knocked out" by the Classe, even though he didn't knock it that much. A rather lukewarm response to this amplifier. He seemed to think it was just an ok amp.

This review, plus some negative comments I have seen by some audiophiles, and a past audio store salesperson who really trashed the line, have made me wonder.
That review offers no help in deciding if that particular product is worth a chance or audition. It was a lousy review by Martin colloms and done "half-assed" IMO. It was so matter of fact it looked like he had to do it out of punishment. Besides if you take stereophile reviews as a big part of your decision your making a mistake. Go thru some issues and look at other equipment and cables used to evaluate and review components. In most reviews, no proven synergy, just comped and borrowed components and cables thrown together to put a system together. And the cables are almost always top of the line which most real audiophiles will never own anyway - if they are smart. Lots of cables in the value price range match or outperform flagship models. Synergy is THE MOST important factor in a system and that's why people are always "upgrading" because they are not ever satisfied, they don't take the time to synergize and get the absolute most out of a component and a particular system IMHO.