Class D amplifier with TPA 3250 board

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased my endgame setup comprised of Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers (91 SPL), REL T5X subwoofer and a custom hand built tube amplifier with EL34 tubes. The tube amplifier is giving me trouble with hissing noises, so it's constantly at the artisan's workshop. Since my speakers are extremely efficient, I was wondering about smaller amplifiers as an escape route (if the artisan can't fix the amp, he surely can). The Octavio Amp looks nice on paper. So does the Atoll IN80. Is one obviously better than the other for my revealing speakers?

Folks on another forum I shall not name seem to heavily imply that all amplifiers should sound the same (or very similar). They rave about these cheap tiny Topping/Aiyima amplifiers with class D TPA 3250 amplifier boards. These same boards are used in Genelec active monitors, so they must be good? I'm flustered because there no direct comparisons between these TPA 32xx amplifiers and more conventional/expensive branded amplifiers. The same folks on the forum I shall not name imply that I'm a dunce for spending so much money on a tube amplifier (quote: it's a distortion factory and it can't play grindcore metal music so it sucks). If it weren't for the hiss I wouldn't post here. 

Can I cheap class D amp replace a custom hand-wired EL34 tube amplifier for extremely revealing Closer Acoustics Ogy speakers?

128x128kokakolia

Showing 3 responses by ghdprentice

I have an all tube system. With very efficient speakers you have a lot of great options. I highly recommend finding a a great amp made by a company, not an “Artisan”… a company that knows how to design and manufacture great tube amps… Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Cary, VAC, or budget… Rogue. There are more… but they will be completely noiseless and sound fantastic.

I don’t often make a big mistakes, but when I do… I do what you are doing. Do the best to mitigate the problem… then sell it. Get what you can. Or throw it in the trash and caulk it up to experience. It was great of you to support a local artisan. Live and learn.

Unfortunately, if you do detailed research you get what you pay for. My amp cost $22K… and well worth it. Incredible performance, from a reputable company that has been around for 50 years. If I had a problem my dealer would come over, give me an interim replacement until he could deliver a fully functional replacement… but then, I am paying for that.

OP,

Great. Glad to hear it. Enjoy the music and relax. Sounds like you had a stressful journey.