Class A or AB amp for JBL S4700 speakers

Which should I go for and why? Brands I'm looking at are Accuphase, Pass Labs, and maybe McIntosh.
dave_72
I agree Ralph +1, Class A amplifiers are class A right to full output.
Atmasphere (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
The X350.5 is a stunning amp, but don't forget that I use cables expensive cables ( Wel Signature 2 times 7500 dollar, 2 times Purist Audio Limited 4000 dollar)

But these cables are so important to give the level I have now. The stage is wide: about 1.5-2 metres beside the spakers. The difference I have now is that the stage is also higher on the side pf the speaker. This is caused by the Wel. I never autioned any cable which was this good in stage height. It is a lot more involving than the X250.5. I have a more musical sound with my combo now than what I had with the XA100.5 and XP-20. The Purist Limited edition make the mid freq. a lot more involving. Like you go from X to XA series. But now with a X amp. I have more spatial and air than what I had with the XA-100.5. The drive in the low freq. are F. awesome. Like your spakers are on steroids. The control is so tight, fast and well layered. I have by far the best overal sound I had so far.
You might want to get a sound pressure level meter so you can be sure both amps are playing at the same level. First Watt amps don't make a lot of power relatively speaking.

My money is on the First Watt as being the better sounding amp within its power range.
Ok, thanks. I don't think we'll do a shoot out though...we wanna evaluate the amp on its own merits. We might if we have time to do so. :)
It was good. Stay tuned for the article that's going up on our blog/website. There will be reviews by myself and the others, plus some pics. Thanks!
Damn Dave_72, it's been a month, can you tranfer that info to this thread?, thank's.
Thank's dave72, I did not know the name of your audio club or where to find it if it were on another site.
Hi Dave72, are those JBL speakers?, they sure look like them, anyway, which person are you on the listening panel, the couch?
Yes indeed. They are the S4700s!

I am not pictured in any of the photos in that post.
Hi dave72, did you like the sound of the JBL S4700s?, what is the difference in sound between this model and lesser and more exspensive model's?
I do now. Meaning, that they took a while to break in. Imo, they don't sound that good out of the box. They sound a bit dark, muddy, and closed-in.

The differences are the type of drivers used, the horn geometry, and the shape of the cabinets. As far as the differences in sound, I think these sound better than the Array 1400s, although quite a few would disagree with me on that. Also, these have better bass than the K2s. But the highs and mids of the K2 beat these. And of course the Everest beats all of them. I haven't heard the S3900, so I can't say. Some like them more than the S4700s, though.
Thank's dave72, that was very interesting, I would have never thought that, since I have not listened to these speaker's, I have listened to many, many JBL speaker's in my time, I even own a pair now, of course not to the level we are talking here, needless to say, with all that I have done, these are singing!, the s4700's look like the k2, you think?
The K2 is not complete. Because it has not enough gauge. You hear it back in the overall sound.

The new Wel Signature beats the Everest in timing and precision.
No problem. It's the result of many hours of research and talking to people that know their stuff. Plus, auditioning the damn things more than once. Which I recommend that anyone does, including you. That's cool that your speakers are working for you.

Now, as far as the looks are concerned. A little bit, but not too much. The K2 has a curved cabinet and different tweeter and midrange horns.
Hahahahaha..hey Dave the k2 and Everest are also speakercables from Audioquest.
Well Bo, that's cool, but we're not talking about speaker cables at this time...
BTW Dave72, What amp did you ever get?

Nothing yet. You will know when I update my 'Systems' page here.