Chord Ultima Pre 3

I was wondering if anyone has been using a Chord Ultima Pre 3 preamp.  I have one that I'm demoing and I like it, but was curious if anyone had run into any issues with a lack of gain on this preamp.  I would not be using it with a Chord amp and the only way I can get it loud is by using the balanced inputs--and even then, at full volume, I'm barely hitting 90db.  I don't do a ton of listening near that level, but it does seem to be a fairly low limit for something turned all the way up.

Amps are 100 wpc and speakers are 100db efficient so this seems odd to me.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

badgerdms

Hi. I owned the Pre 3 for a time and loved it, and it was paired with the Chord Ultima 6 amplifier (which I didn't like). Then, I had it paired with a Luxman amplifier and I had no issues with volume control. It was set in the middle, same as the balance, as the volume control was done with an Esoteric N-05XD Streaming DAC. I sold it to go up the Luxman ladder, but of all the gear I've sold over the years, the Ultima Pre 3 is the one piece that I think about repurchasing. Perhaps your demo unit doesn't play well with your amplifier? 

Thanks for the response!  It sounds like the dealer's demo unit may have had an issue when running single-ended.  I'm going to revisit when he gets the repaired unit back.