CHORD Hugo TT2 vs TEAC NT-505 + TEAC CG-10M Master Clock

I know someone will say I’m comparing apples and oranges.

I own an Esoteric SA-10 with its excellent VOSP mechanism and I want to upgrade by adding a DAC.

I’m purely considering audio quality and I can’t easily audition/compare the two solutions I selected : the CHORD Hugo TT2 (4’790 € in my country) and the TEAC combo NT-505 + CG-10M 10MHz Master Clock (a total of 3’198 € + ~200 € for the digital cable for the clock).

I’ve always been fascinated by the CHORD with its special FPGA-based D-to-A technology and the Hugo TT2 even features super-capacitors in the power supply. On the other side the TEAC NT-505 has got wonderful reviews and it’s equipped with the AKM AK4497 chips of the Esoteric N-01 (~20’000 €). The NT-505 can likely be boosted by the CG-10M dedicated Master Clock and I consider it a combo that inspires me.

I’m looking for a full-bodied sound with lots of detail and focus. I like a holographic soundstage.

Could you please help me in this choice? The Chord is a much more expensive stand-alone DAC compared to the NT-505 (4’790 vs 1’699!) but will it win hands-down also considering the external TEAC Master Clock in the equation?

Thank you very much!
Gianluca
gkg2k
TEAC NT-505  is also a streamer
Hugo TT2  , I think ,  is only a DAC

There is also , iFi Pro iDSD
not sure the clock is an audible benefit unless you are listening to orchestra music

@maxwave : I know the NT-505 is much more versatile than the Hugo TT2 but here I’m trying to figure out which one will sound better for my taste

@canibefrank : interesting point. Do you say a better external better has a limited impact on sound? Actually I don’t know because I’ve no experience with external clocks but I’ve been thinking that precision, focus and soundstage representation would have been increased in any genre of music. Was I wrong?

Gianluca
there was a review I read of the NT-505 with the TEAC external clock that mentioned the stock NT-505 with the dual clocks are absolutely excellent. If you are looking for the last little bit of HiFi with your music or studio application, use the external TEAC clock. You would need a highly resolving set of monitors-speakers to hear that external clock benefit.
@canibefrank : thank you, I didn’t notice the stock NT-505 even has a dual clock for 44.1 and 48KHz frequencies. I can now get the point that the external TEAC CG-10M Master Clock could just add super-fine details.

I wanted to know your opinions about Hugo TT2 vs NT-505, but it’s clear the TEAC is the box to beat and at a fraction of the price of the Chord!

Thank you,
Gianluca
I am waiting for the clock, hope can try it soon, I like my current system, hoping it can add more to the soundstage and imageing..
My cg-10m arrived, I think it worth it, I also have another system auralic Vega g1, with the clock, the sound stage is similar now, but indeed teac have more details than Vega g1, my current setup is focal kanta n1, luxman l590 ax mark ii, I have tried different amplifier and dac to make my focal sounds the best, kanta is a good speaker, but I still find it relatively bright, so I have to find something warm to match it up, I even tried McIntosh ma5300, but it didn't work out, and luxman class A really did its job here with focal, Now I really love my current setup with teac505 and the cg-10m, I think I can stop and enjoy now
My cg-10m arrived, I think it worth it, I also have another system auralic Vega g1, with the clock, the sound stage is similar now, but indeed teac have more details than Vega g1, my current setup is focal kanta n1, luxman l590 ax mark ii, I have tried different amplifier and dac to make my focal sounds the best, kanta is a good speaker, but I still find it relatively bright, so I have to find something warm to match it up, I even tried McIntosh ma5300, but it didn't work out, and luxman class A really did its job here with focal, Now I really love my current setup with teac505 and the cg-10m, I think I can stop and enjoy now

So we can say the TEAC clock CG-10M worked on the soundstage and the three-dimensionality mainly. It's the most important part of the sound indeed!

Thank you and enjoy your system 😉

Gianluca

Just got the CG-10M masterclock to go with my modded Teac NT-505. It is an easily noticeable improvement in liquidity, focus, and overall coherence. I read a review of the masterclock before I had it hooked up. The review basically called it snake oil. After listening to this combo after letting it play overnight, I just laughed my ass off at the review.

You have to put yourself in a position where you can hear it, know how to hear it and want to hear it 😉

Thanks for your report!

Gianluca

@Gianluca I have a highly resolving system so I just hooked it up and let my ears and brain make the determination. 

I have recently purchased the TEAC UD-701N. I am also wanting to connect the TEAC Master Clock. It has a 50 ohm output. Do I need to source a 50 ohm BNC cable? What did you guys use? Tons of 75ohm BNC options. Not so many 50 ohm....

@darberb 

I use a 50-ohm "generic" 18" cable  ($50) between my CG-10M and UD-701N.

My dealer uses it for demos, so I just went with that and he got one for me.

Haven't yet pursued higher end 50-ohm cables, as this sounds so good as is.

I ended up using a shielded 50 ohm cable from a large radio cable supplier in the USA. It is made in Switzerland. Fully shielded with good reviews and it cost 50 USD. Sounds great.

I agree. I was not completely sold on the Master Clock but was pleasantly surprised to the improvement in sound.