Choose between McIntosh MA9000 used vs MA8950 new

I really need some input! I am trying to upgrade from my starter kit. I just found a used 4-5 years old MA9000, fine condition (except cosmetics), and is comparing to buying a new MA8950. Ma9000 has generous leg room (300 W) with more tone controls, bigger everything, but that was older 2017 technology and already discontinued. Ma8950 is less powerful (200W), but is the latest design, bit better DAC, more dynamic headroom (filter capacity). Now I cannot decide which one to go for. Btw I used streamer as my source most of the time, and driving a b&w 805 d4. Thanks for your help.

randywong

@kennymacc i agree, sometimes it takes a while to find the right component in the used market.

Big difference between the 9000's DA1 and the 8950's DA2. I have an 8900 which has the DA1 installed, but I'm running the excellent DAC from my Lumin T2.  I dare say the T2 going to sound as well if not better than the DA2 when streaming.

Long-time Mc owner and fan here.  @jastralfu and ​​​​@fatdaddy2 are entirely correct.  Any McIntosh product that doesn't have both perfect cosmetics and function can only depreciate until such time as it becomes a "classic," whatever you interpret that to mean.  Even then, you would face a hard time reselling the item and a lot of blowback from potential buyers.  Mc commands the second-hand market value it does because if you take care of it, it will last a lifetime looking just the way it did the day it came out of the box.  Anyone who lets the cosmetics go doesn't understand the value proposition McIntosh is built on.  Keep looking.

Others are also correct about the DAC.  Don't get hung up on that.  The DA1 works just fine and the DA2 is a modest improvement on it.  If you get a unit with either and don't care for it, getting a stand-alone is neither difficult nor expensive.  Don't let that come between you and the music.

Good luck with your search and happy listening!

I took a $3000 DAC to top ( and not by much) the internal DAC2 board in my C2700. I ended up settelting on a much more expencive DAC to actualy have a significant improvment so do not underestimate the DAC2 board its better then you may think. Also the DAC2 has HDMI ARC input if you run a TV in the same room this is very usefull. 

Keep in mind that on the 8950, when McIntosh upgrades their DAC to a "DA3", then you can easily swap out the DA2 for the DA3. Not sure if you can do that with the 9000.