Cartridge Upgrade From Dynavector XX2 mkii

I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago and since that time have bought quite a number of fine LPs and wish to upgrade my cartridge. In my analog front end (Basis 2500 Sig, Vector 4, Herron VTPH-2) I think there is room for a better transducer. My current Dynavector unit I have liked for its bass response but what I seek more than any other factor is greater transparency without losing bass response. Like all of us, I want better sound.

I am looking at three well reviewed cartridges, all used from reputable sellers, with about 200 hours: Dynavector XV-1S, Ortofon Windfeld and Shelter Harmony.

Interested in your guidance since auditions not possible. I have heard each of these sound fine in different systems than mine. Rest of my gear: Esoteric amp and pre, Magico V3, Transparent MM2 cabling.

I remember reading years ago how people who went back to vinyl simply did not use their high end CD or SACD players anymore. I thought that seemed like an overstatement at the time-- but for me it has become reality. I recently for a friend compared my copy of Dire Straits Love Over Gold SHM-SACD ($60) to a $2.99 used LP copy I picked up at Princeton record exchange. The LP was just so much better it was startling.
teeshot

Showing 1 response by zd542

I use DV myself and like their products very much. Unfortunately with phono carts, its difficult to get something to demo. You may want to give The Cable Company to see if they have something to lend you. A few years back, they said they would do it for me, but I'm not sure if they will do it for everyone. I've been doing business with them for many years so it may be an exception.

If I was looking to upgrade and couldn't get a demo, I would probably try a Shelter.