Cartridge mounting woes

I purchased a new Hana ML cartridge, and intend to mount it on a "vintage" Empire 698 turntable. The 698 head shell is configured so that the cartridge used thereon must be bottom mounted. Before I ordered the cartridge, I checked with Musical Surroundings, and they indicated that while the Hana screw holes are through-threaded, the ML could be bottom mounted.

I picked up an assortment of M2.5 screws to mount the cartridge, and it turns out the screw heads are too wide to fit into the cartridge screw slots. My research indicates that this will continue to be a problem with other M2.5 screws out there on the market.

Have any of you folks encountered an issue like this? If so, how did you solve it? I've been thinking that maybe headless M2.5 screws (grub screws) would do the job. I'd surely appreciate any ideas that don't involve buying a new tonearm or turntable! Thanks in advance.

128x128ho249

1. this has a solution, whatever they did

2. do people put 'better' tonearms on these? that would make it easy to get a standard removable headshell, have several cartridges, MC, MM, Mono ....

I did not originally understand that the headshell has captured nuts. Now that I know that, I’d agree with Dover.  I was once confronted with a similar dilemma.

Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate your willingness to share your creativity and expertise.

I think the approach with set screws is worth a try, and I'm planning to start there; small investment, very little downside. From there, perhaps to try a cartridge that will mount more easily, per @mijostyn .

@elliottbnewcombjr Thanks for sharing the USAM post; the modification is a possibility (probably beyond my capability). The turntable ad your linked raises the awareness that perhaps a 698 turntable is worth less than I thought. Again, thanks to all.