Cartridge loading question

Does lowering cart loading impedance only affect the top end (rolling off) or does it also impact soundstage, dynamics, etc.?
asp307

Showing 7 responses by asp307

@atmasphere thanks, how will one know when they've reached critical damping by ear without the help of a program or device when having to consider various phenomenas?
@atmasphere thanks, can you please clarify the following:

"Turn down the control until the highs seem to go away and then back off." What control are you speaking of? I am using a Pass Labs XP-15 if that helps. Thanks.
@atmasphere got it thanks. I see RadioShack still has them and I still have a RadioShack near me. How do I hook this in to my preamp? A step by step would be great. Thanks again.
Thanks @atmasphere, really appreciate the help. I will look into this further. In the meantime, I'm really liking what I'm hearing at 250 ohm.
@stevecham thanks, highs and lows both sound good at 250 ohms. I think the lower value plays to my listening room (hardwood floors, lots of hard surfaces, etc.)
@dgarretson @atmasphere thanks for your feedback. I am trying different loads to see if I can hear pros and cons and I can. Currently I am listening at 1K ohm. It sounds great however there is a bit of distortion. Possibly it's the recording, I am not certain and it certainly isn't present all the time. More extension of higher frequencies than a lower load. At 1K the speakers seem to disappear.

47K ohm to my ears sounds a bit thin. All the while I have upgraded outlets, power cables and a clarity cap/juniper bypass at varying levels of break-in.