Cartridge Force - Is a Little 'Over-Force' Okay?

With kids getting older and not as 'grabby', I decided to dust off the Pro-Ject 1.2, and throw on a new cartridge (Sumiko Olympia), replacing the 25-year-old Oyster. After dialing-in the cartridge to its recommended 2.0 grams, I noticed the tonearm counterweight keeps the lid/dust cover from closing. With kids around, I'd really prefer to keep a lid on it. If I move the counterweight to a position where it doesn't interfere with the cover, it weighs-in at 2.7 grams. 

My question is, does .7 grams, with this particular cartridge make a difference? Not just in sound quality (I couldn't hear the difference), but in the case of preserving the longevity of the vinyl. 

Or is there a compatible counterweight that would add a few more grams of force? I was trying to justify a whole new rig, but this little guy still (seemingly) works just fine.

brian_stabinger

Run at the high end of the spec but if you have a light tonearm you can dial in a little more but best to stay within the spec.

Weren’t we always told a little too much is far better than too little?

Mistracking due to insufficient tracking weight is a big no no.

However in this case, surely you could just put some tiny rubber spacers between the plinth and the back of the lid as a solution?

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I do have a 'good' gauge, that measures to 1/100g, hence I'm certain of the VTF. 

By the sounds of it, it's probably best to stay within the mfg recommended specification. That's understandable. I suppose the next step might be to get the Dremmel, and cut a 'doggy door' in the back of the lid. Somewhat defeats the idea of a dust cover, but it's still better than nothing.

Or time for a new turntable.

Can you fashion a weight to add to the counterweight so that it balances the arm correctly while not as far from the pivot?  I know someone who sort of did this with what amounts to a heavy washer glued to the counterweight.  He did this in order to mount a very heavy cartridge on an arm not meant for such a cartridge.

I agree with Raul. 2.7 g is significantly more VTF than the stated upper limit of 2.2 g for your cartridge. That is not a trivial difference, and it will at least alter the relationship between the transducing elements of the cartridge and not for the better. At worst of course you will eventually damage your suspension.