Cartridge for an old GRACE 707?

Question for the analog gang. I receintly picked up an old Oracle Delphi I with a Grace 707 tonearm. When it arrived the stylus on the original Grace F9 cart was missing.

I see a Grace 704 uni-pivot in the classifieds for $295.00. I am having a hard time finding much out about the Grace tonearms. Is the 707 a "keeper"?

Any feedback on the arm or suggested carts. is appreciated.
dickens
Hi, Dickens, your post takes me down memory lane (i.e. I've SEEN two Graces -- but can't quite remember one from the other). The wooden one (707?) worked well with the V den Hull MC10, MC20s; the Ortofon 10 & 30; Grado & Denon (but, model No??).
The Grace was playing (as I remember it), 1) on a Heybrook TT 2) on a Pink Triangle PTToo. I don't know about synergy with the Delphi so, can't comment. It was considered a good value arm at the time (early '80s).
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Cheers!
I had a 707 and really liked it. It was a great arm for the money. I used a ADC xlm that I liked the sound but it had very high complance and was touchy. I also used an Shure conical that was ok for the money.

I was and still am on a beer budget!
One of the reasons that the Grace 707 and the F9 series worked so well together is that the cartridge/stylus was high compliance. The Grace is a low mass arm and should not be used with low compliance carts. Look for a figure greater than 12X 10-to-the-minus6 cm/dyne (15 is better) So generally avoid Grado, Denon,Monster, most Supex, Dynavector. Go for Shure, Sumiko Blue Point, AudioTechnica,Ortofon, some Signet models. If in doubt, check with Sumiko in Berkeley,CA.
Best of luck,
Joe
Thanks for input folks, especially Joeabrams. I've been in contact with the good folks in Bezerkeley.

Good listening!
Bart
if i'm not mistaken, my grace 727, which came on my used oracle also, is wery similar to the 707. joe is rite - heavy cartridges don't mate too well w/these arms. my ~11-gram ortofon had me adjusting the counterweight past its end-stop to get it to track properly. while a good arm for lite caretridges, i ended up replacing mine w/an origin-live moddded rega rb250.

doug s.

Grace, Model 707 was very good sound in its day. ($149.00). It worked well with the Fidelity Research FR-1MkIII MC cart when I had it. Joe is correct about only higher compliance though(no Koetsu on this arm!!). Like Doug, I owned Oracle for many years (Mk-1,2,3,4, and Premier MK II) I found the Linn Ittok, Signet SK-50,Triplaner,Well tempered and Zeta to sound much better. It was fundamentally very good, but the Oracle table was better than it was. By the way, the 5 pin armcable that came with the Grace is a real loser. It could be that I never really heard the arm! That is the major caveat with these older arms. Arms like the Well Tempered allow one to use their own IC, a real plus.(I liked the Well Tempered best of all)
Grace 704 and 714 were unipivot designs (704 was a real looker)
Well you could go looking for a Grace f9e for the arm. They do crop up ocassionally.
IN 1978 I HAD A GRACE 707 ARM WITH A MICRO ACOUSTICS 2002 CARTRIDGE ON IT .IT WORKED WELL.IN FACT ONE WENT UP FOR SALE YESTERDAY FOR $50 ON AUDIOGON.I STILL HAVE THE ARM IN MY ARCHIVES AND NOW USE A GRAHAM BUT THE 707 DOES A FINE JOB.I ALSO STILL HAVE THE MOUNTING TEMPLATE FOR THE GRACE 707 IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE NEEDS IT. REGARDS,RICH
to whomever gave me negative wotes on my previous comments, why not act like a mature adult & tell me what i said that's untrue, or rude. or if ya yust disagree w/me, yer comments may be of some use to others, as well as to myself.

doug s.

doug s..
Not sure who is dumping on you. I started the thread and yours was one of posts that helped me learn about the need for matching a high compliance cart with my low mass arm. I thank you for that.
Bart
Thanks Captain. I have an old Oracle Delphi and the 707 came mounted on it. (Perhaps not the best way to ship) There does not appear to be much room for adjustment albiet there is some. Do you feel it would make sense for me to try and improve on the positioning or go with it the way it arrived? I'm obviously quite new at this and after breaking one Sumiko Blue Point Special a bit gun shy.

Thanks
Bart
HI BART, AS LONG AS YOU CAN ACHIEVE THE CORRECT OVERHANG FOR YOUR CARTRIDCE THE ARM IS IN THE RIGHT LOCATION.THE TEMPLATE IS NEEDED FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO INSTALL THIS ARM ON AN UNDRILLED ARMBOARD.ANOTHER PROBLEM CONCERNING OVERHANG IS THAT THE DISTANCE OF THE STYLUS TO THE CARTRIDGE MOUNTING HOLES IS NOT THE SAME ON ALL CARTRIDGES.THAT IS WHY HEADSHELLS HAVE SLOTTED HOLES AND THE SME STYLE MOUNT ALLOWS FOR ADJUSTMENT OF THE ARM IN THE MOUNTING BASE,LIKE ON A GRAHAM 1.5 WITH THE SME MOUNTING BASE.THE GRACE 707,REGAS AND MANY MORE ARMS DO NOT HAVE THIS FLEXIBILITY IN THE BASE SO THE ARM LOCATION IN THE ARMBOARD IS SUPER CRITICAL.MY OLD TABLE WITH THE GRACE 707 WORKED GREAT WITH THE MICRO ACOUSTICS BUT WHEN I UPGRADED TO A G.A.S SLEEPING BEAUTY I COULD NOT GET THE CORRECT OVERHANG.THE PROBLEM WAS WHEN THE DEALER WAS DRILLING THE ARMBOARD FOR THE GRACE HE WAS PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO THE SANDWICH HE WAS EATING AT THE TIME!!I HAVE HAD THE SAME OVERHANG PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER TABLE AND ARM WHEN TRYING DIFFERENT BRAND CARTRIDGES WHICH HAD A FIXED MOUNTING BASE. REGARDS,RICH
My education continues! With everyones posts and reading and re-reading Robert Harley's "The Complete Guide to High End Audio" it is starting to make sense.

Good Listening to all!
Bart
Hi Captain,
is it safe to ass-u-me the micro acoustics 20 is a high-er compliance cart. I guess it must be if you were satified with it on your 707.
Bart