Cartridge for an old GRACE 707?

Question for the analog gang. I receintly picked up an old Oracle Delphi I with a Grace 707 tonearm. When it arrived the stylus on the original Grace F9 cart was missing.

I see a Grace 704 uni-pivot in the classifieds for $295.00. I am having a hard time finding much out about the Grace tonearms. Is the 707 a "keeper"?

Any feedback on the arm or suggested carts. is appreciated.
dickens

Showing 1 response by frap

Grace, Model 707 was very good sound in its day. ($149.00). It worked well with the Fidelity Research FR-1MkIII MC cart when I had it. Joe is correct about only higher compliance though(no Koetsu on this arm!!). Like Doug, I owned Oracle for many years (Mk-1,2,3,4, and Premier MK II) I found the Linn Ittok, Signet SK-50,Triplaner,Well tempered and Zeta to sound much better. It was fundamentally very good, but the Oracle table was better than it was. By the way, the 5 pin armcable that came with the Grace is a real loser. It could be that I never really heard the arm! That is the major caveat with these older arms. Arms like the Well Tempered allow one to use their own IC, a real plus.(I liked the Well Tempered best of all)
Grace 704 and 714 were unipivot designs (704 was a real looker)