Can an audio rack be that important?

When we spend Tens of thousands on audio equipment are we losing sight on the importance of a good audio rack? I have seen many setups were ultra high end audio equipment is used sub-par equipment racks. 
I have been grappling with buying a high end audio rack for sometime but have always put it off as less important. 
What does a reference rack actually do for the sound of high quality components?

hiendmmoe

@recklesskelly 

I didn't address you at all, so I don't know what you're talking about. I was addressing @mitch2 .

I'm glad that I provided you with an opportunity to brag about what you have though.

@roxy54 not at all, I was directing the rest of my post to the OP not at you at all. Should be careful you will end up with hoof and mouth disease as you were a bit braggadocios yourself.

They definitely make a sonic difference. I had a 4-shelf basic target rack for years, and when I got the Adona, the change was very audible. More stable imaging, and everything seemed more grounded. I also use different footers in addition to the rack. I love the look too, and the shelves are infinitely adjustable.

Audio Racks, Modular Audio Video Furniture and Isolation Platforms at Adona Corporation.

As a long time stereo builder (1975) and PC builder (1995) I would highly recommend against ever putting equipment on the floor. That's where all the dust, dirt, bugs, and water will congregate. Also limited air flow. I was taught 16" minimum , that's the height of electrical receptacles in most houses.

I will be the first to admit that it is sometimes not practical or feasible to do. I just bought a new VTI HIFI rack. I was replacing a cheap POS Wayfair stand. I spent right around $1000 for 10 racks. So even thought the bottom 3 racks are only 4.5" off the floor I am using them for my power amps. VTI makes power amp stands for mono blocks.

I can't say the sound has improved but my peace of mind has. I kept waiting to hear a huge crash and finding all my stuff in a pile. New rack is rock steady and looks really nice too. Hopefully last one I will need to buy.

I too started with cinderblocks and 2 x 8 floor joists for shelves. Then I moved on to  schedule 40 PVC filled with sand. 1/2 " for speaker stands and 1" for actual rack. Sturdy with no vibration. Then I got married and wife insisted upon "real" furniture.

@recklesskelly 

I wasn't bragging in that post, and I never do. What you said was directly addressed to me, but only made you look bad.

I was skeptical for decades about the sonic benefits of a rack, but finally had one built because I was tired of having gear sitting on the floor.

Had a friend who's an artisan build it to my specs.

1.5" butcher block hardwood.

1" square steel tubing.

All tubing filled with sand.

Shelves isolated from tubes with silicone.

Tubes isolated from wood floor with hard rubber discs.

I was only wanting things to look better, but to my surprise the sound quality also was improved.

So yes, in my case a well-designed rack did make a difference.