Can a Mytek Stereo192 DAC be connected via USB2 without a driver

Hello everyone,

I know that Mytek has basically given up supporting a USB2 or Firewire driver for the Stereo192 DAC on an Apple Mac. Unfortunately, I own one and I run exclusively Apple Mac computers. Until the latest security updates from Apple I could always use the Firewire interface. I really want to get the DAC working as I think it is quite good and musical and has support for everything I need (except USB2 or Firewire!!!).

I wonder if it is ever possible to connect the Stereo192 to any other device without having to install a driver on that device. I am thinking specifically of devices like the SOtM tx-USBultra or any other such USB reclockers etc. Some are not too expensive (though the SOtM is probably one of the more expensive ones).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
swcng2001
I always thought that Macs didn’t need USB drivers. As far as things like reclockers, I’m pretty sure that basically just being a pass through device that no driver is needed. I certainly didn’t need one for my W4S usb reclocker. 
Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately, the Stereo192 from Mytek requires a driver for USB2 and FireWire. USB1 works without a driver but is limited in what can be played through it. USB1 is not recommended anyway as it was never designed with audio data in mind. None of their newer models need a driver on the Mac. The driver which can be downloaded from their site is a 3rd party driver and for whatever reason they have stopped supporting it. Now I’m left with the problem of USD2000/- device being consigned to the rubbish heap unless I can come up with a way of connecting it to my Mac without the need of a driver. I might be going down the wrong path thinking that placing a reclocker in between my Mac and the Mytek might solve it. 
Kr4,

That’s a thought 😅 Unfortunately a good digital to digital converter is expensive. I might as well replace the Mytek. I’ll keep investigating.

I’ve been informed by Mytek that there is no solution to this. Looks like the USB2 interface is proprietary or non standard.

Thanks everyone.
I had the original Mytek Manhattan  which did have a FW input.  My previous DAC was a modified pro DAC that also had a FW input in place of USB.  I was in love with the latter DAC but wanted to upgrade.  With the Manhattan I came to believe that the FW didn’t necessarily sound any better than the other inputs, playing the same disc from other transports .  At any rate I did acquire a Bryston DAC3 which is the first DAC that I have had where I felt the Usb wasn’t inferior to other inputs.  If you add a program such as Audirvana or JRiver to your Mac and have a good usb DAC you really won’t miss the FW input, but if you must have it, see if you can find a first generation, un modified Manhattan or else look at the pro world.