Can a DAC sort out a flat\cold amp?

My pc is connected to an external sound card (scarlett 2i4 by focusrite). I bought the Yamaha a-s1200 & am really disappointed at the brightness & the lack of bass to the extend I prefer listening to my portable JBL boombox. I'm in no position to sell or trade this amplifier so I thought a DAC with eq may help the predicament. Since auditioning my equipment is not an option in my country I have no choice but to buy something purely on recommendations. I also thought about replacing the speakers but since I listen to soundcloud & youtube i really think upscaling & eq will be much more cost effective option in sorting out this issue & may give me the confidence to try a much more expensive speaker option. what would you recommend?

128x128orenm145

I just ordered the svs sb 1000 pro. I didn’t think dac would make enough difference to justify experimenting while a sub will for sure make a big difference.I think this will serve me for both low level listening & will keep contributing after speaker upgrade , apartment moving etc… it’s not the cheapest solution but it was going to happen eventually.

Thanks for all the guys that gave thier 2 cents. I also got 1hr of professional tuner that will try & teach me/sort out/recommend what to do with all this situation.

i will update in a month or so. Because the sub is on backorder.

I know this amp is not that terrible like i made it look like but it seems to me i could have got the same results  (setup wise) or better with a cheaper one like the 6000A 

Also at this price range i think i could have done much better amp selection.

OP, 

Thanks for the update. congratulations, this should be fun for you.

I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get your subwoofer.

Of course, get a DAC with a tube buffered output! My Kora, Herrmes makes everything sound like analog!

Good luck on your audio journey! Don't  worry, you will get it right in the near future. To me, the pic of your system shows problems of speaker positioning and it also looks like your room has too many hard surfaces. If you can address these issues, you will get much improved sound.