Cambridge CXC > Audiolab 6000CDT > Jay's Audio CDT2-MK2!

A short couple of months ago, I read a thread on using a CD Transport. At the time I had an Onkyo 7030 CD Player and plugging it into my Chord Qutest was OK, but not awesome. With some research I learned of the Cambridge CXC transport and then found one locally that I could buy for cheap and pick it up that day.

Wow, the CXC sounded great. I dug out my old CDs and just about stopped Qobuz streaming. I had to know more. I learned of the Audiolab CD Transports and found a used 6000CDT here on A’gon. Wow, the Audiolab sounded great.

But what about an even better transport? I had to know. So, I bought a Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK2 last week.

OK, what’s going on here? the CDT2-MK2 is much better than the 6000CDT. The Jay’s Audio transport is both hefty in weight (30+ lbs) and hefty in overall sound, too. Deep controlled bass, sizable mids and smooth highs. To say it’s better in every way than the CXC or the 6000CDT is not an exaggeration.

I know there are a couple of CD transports that are double and triple the cost of this one, but I’m done. My CDs have never sounded like this before... and neither has Qobuz or Tidal.

It’s been an unexpected journey with great results. Unbelievable results.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcreativepart

Sighted bias especially with the expectation of hearing an improvement! Try blind listening in a dark room. Otherwise it's an anecdotal blurb for the mfgr's web site!

It’s not sighted bias. I had the Cambridge CXC, a decent transport, upgraded to a SimAudio 260DT and the SQ is significantly better, and even better still when using the AES/EBU output vs the SPDIF.

Don’t feed the trolls… especially the well know trolls that post here all the time.

They aren’t worth the effort.

Glad to receive your take on the Jays transport. I am considering the purchase of the CD2MK3

@mesch I bought mine used (on A’gon) so it was broken in. However, when I first plugged it in and started listening the strong controlled bass immediately made itself known. But other than more and better controlled bass I didn’t hear a lot of difference.

After being on for about an hour it bloomed in all areas. More mids, more separation between instruments, etc. The manual says it needs to be on for an hour - there is a power switch in the back that can be left on and you can put it in standby with the also very heavy remote.

This CD Transport is so beefy and solid it’s like a big hunk of aluminum. With the CXC and the 6000CDT the casing was thin, resonant sheet steel. I used to keep a heavy cocktail table book on top of those units to help with resonance. There is no such need for extra weight with the Jay’s transport.

It’s a cliche, I know, but true. I am hearing instruments in my favorite CDs that I could not clearly detect before with the Jay’s Transport.

@creativepart 

No idea what your system might be, but I bet that ripping your CDs to a high quality streamer/server will rival the Jay’s.

I have 800 CD ripped at 16/44.1 into ALAC/FLAC and stored on a SSD drive. However, I prefer the CDs to the rips.

System is Naim Supernait3 integrated, SoTM SMS200 Ultra Network Streamer with SoTM SP500 power supply, Chord Qutest DAC with Sbooster PS, a PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3 and Harbeth P3ESR speakers. For Analog I have a Rega P8, Ortofon Cadenza Black cart, EAR 834p MM/MC tube phono stage with a Bob's Devices 1:20 SUT.