Calling all Horn lovers

What is it that love about this type of speaker? Why would you recommend them?
What do you like the most and the least about your horns? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
128x128bander
Johnk, You fully understand good things in life. Big speakers and big dogs, and have a very impressive stereo pair, and right now I'm not referring to your speakers!! :)
Horns are THE speakers if you want to party or dance

Well yes, but my take on this is different.

Horns are really the best speakers to listen to music at a low volume, they are the only speakers that can bring out all the music, in full detail playing at low volumes, and that of course can swing it when big dyanmics come to play.
Once you get your mind settled on the volume, then it will just bloom out of the horns and you wont miss detail or jump factor.

The only time I like monkey coffin speakers is when they are blasting! And then, they miss on dynamics....
Sad- I think we come out the same way, I would just express it differently. I find that there is a 'natural' loudness level for each recording (at least recordings that aren't overly compressed throughout), where, because of the recording, the system and room, everything just 'gels.' At that point, the system can still handle dynamic swings effortlessly, and as you said, you don't need to crank up the system to get full measure of what is on the recording.
The other benefit is that I can get that 'open' quality of electostats that I grew to love over the decades, but can achieve something approximating a full-bandwidth system without having a GIANT speaker, like the big Soundlab.
And since the horns are tres efficient, I can get away with a very musical SET amp to power the mids and tweets.
So, on balance, I'm far less focused on 'audiophile' attributes, like soundstage and image, because the horn based system has an immediacy that goes beyond creating a 'faux' image; it sounds very 'vivid' and 'in the room' (which may turn into 'forward' and harsh, unless addressed by the associated equipment). Perhaps this is a band-aid to an inherent flaw in mine, but after many, many years of 'audiophilia,' I am listening to the music, not the system. (Not suggesting that the illusion will 'fool' you all the time, but on great recordings it is spectacular, and even on less well recorded material, I can enjoy what's there to hear). I do find that the horns are more ruthless in exposing the gimmicks of the recording- something that might be spectacular sounding on my old system because of detail, imagery, or the like, is revealed for what it is. When I compare different pressings/masterings of the same recording, the differences are not subtle.
Whart,
Whart,
I love what you wrote. It is even handed and honest. Your point, as I read it, is that horns are by no means perfect, but with their flaws, they still present a dynamically credible illusion of music.
I particularly liked your point about the immediacy and vividness of their presentation, and the sound at low listening levels. (which is important to me) I agree that they don't always do the vast soundscape thing the way small monitors do, but for me, the other factors you mentioned are more musically important.
As always, liking or disliking horns, or any type of speaker will depend on your sonic preferences.