California Audio Labs – Icon Mk II CD Player - HDCD

Did all the Icon Mk II players with HDCD have PowerBoss?  Or are there some Mk II players with HDCD but not PowerBoss?

And how do you tell?

Thx
randy-11
I'm struggling to recall, as I had an Icon Mk I that I had upgraded to Power Boss. I'm tending to think Power Boss was not "standard" but my recall is very hazy on this. 

That said, while I thought the Icon was excellent 25 years ago, I probably would shy away from an Icon. The company us long gone and digital is much better now. Based on my experience, a Rega Apollo is a better sounding player than an Icon 1 or 2, with or without Powerboss. 
I had the Cal Icon Mk 2 HDCD with powerboss for years and loved it. I replaced it with an Ayre Cx7eMP which is in another league. The Ayre will be my last CD player purchase. Great player and company and their upgrades are worth it when they make them available. I originally bought mine as a CX 7 and have had it upgraded twice since that purchase...
I already own this unit and it has HDCD.  It sounds very very close to an Oppo BDP-103 in sound quality, despite its age.  

I heard that if it has the HDCD, then it has the Powerboss upgrade for sure.

Does anybody know if that's true?
As I recall the Power Boss upgrade included HDCD.

However, a basic (less expensive) HDCD upgrade was available as well.

DeKay