Buying Used Speakers

Want to get the group's thoughts on buying used speakers.  The value proposition in many cases is compelling.  However, there is a pretty good element of risk as well, even from reputable Audiogon sellers.  What exactly does, "completely tested mean?"  Or "performs flawlessly?"  You don't in most cases get a warranty for starters and you're at the complete mercy of the adds and pics.  Some of the sellers are broker dealers (with stellar reputations), so do they even know how they were treated?  Prob not.   Let's face it - the vast majority of condition ratings are based on the cosmetics IMHO.  

Has anybody bought expensive speakers on AG or elsewhere?  What questions did you ask the seller to help ensure they're as sonically good as cosmetically?  Did you test them yourselves once you received them?  Any good lessons learned would be much appreciated as well.  I know for starters to get a complete  description of how they're going to ship them.  Thanks in advance!   

cubbiesman

I've bought all my speakers used. Shipping just gets expensive and being able to listen to them and evaluate their condition is crucial. Once you narrow down what you are looking for I would search locally on FB marketplace, Audiogon, US Audio Mart and used hifi dealers or maybe even Craigslist. Take your time finding what you want. The last set of speakers I bought used were 3k less than current retail and only 2 years old. I drove 2.5 hours each way to demo and then buy.   I recently bought a sub and saved over $ 700 vs new and that included shipping. Both in excellent condition. Well worth the savings to me. 

Definitely talk to the seller by phone if you can. Research their location and if not comfortable arrange a public meet up or wait for something else.  I have found most people selling high end gear are great to work with and can provide valuable insight as well. 

One nice thing about buying speakers used is you don't have to wait weeks or months for them to break in and sound like they should. But I would only buy used ones if they were delivered to me. 

I wouldn't buy used speakers unless I could listen to them first. If they check out, I would absolutely prefer used to new. 

As with anything used, buyer beware always.  If you can see it visually and hear it, buy locally as the first option.  I've never had issues buying used, the speakers worked as they are suppose to.  Used is a good place to save money for sure.  If you are buying speakers that are 5 years old, should not have an issue.  If you are buying speakers 20+ years old, you should definately review them.

Echo and TMR are great people. Have done many transactions with echo for over 29 years, I’ve done more with TMR in the last 5 years. Echo does have their biases toward there new products, TMR is more neutral. 
I always go listen to the speakers if buying used, if new, I can go into a dealer or order online.

As for age, 10 years isn’t that old with newer speakers. I’ve even had 20 year old cheaper speakers that sounded very good and would last many more years. For example, I would not hesitate on buying a pair of Revel salon 1’s or studio 1’s today, and they are 20 years old. The more reputable manufacturers have rebuild services which could be much cheaper than buying a new pair.