Buying Used Speakers

Want to get the group's thoughts on buying used speakers.  The value proposition in many cases is compelling.  However, there is a pretty good element of risk as well, even from reputable Audiogon sellers.  What exactly does, "completely tested mean?"  Or "performs flawlessly?"  You don't in most cases get a warranty for starters and you're at the complete mercy of the adds and pics.  Some of the sellers are broker dealers (with stellar reputations), so do they even know how they were treated?  Prob not.   Let's face it - the vast majority of condition ratings are based on the cosmetics IMHO.  

Has anybody bought expensive speakers on AG or elsewhere?  What questions did you ask the seller to help ensure they're as sonically good as cosmetically?  Did you test them yourselves once you received them?  Any good lessons learned would be much appreciated as well.  I know for starters to get a complete  description of how they're going to ship them.  Thanks in advance!   

cubbiesman

You're not the right mental makeup to buy used speakers. Stick with new.  You'll create used speakers for someone else.

Jerry

I’ve bought and sold used stereo gear, cameras, and telescopes online for years without any issues. If you deal with the classifieds from a user forum, or sites such as Agon or usaudiomart, and from long standing members with good feedback then I feel you’re pretty safe. If buying big ticket items I always use PayPal goods and services. For less expensive items I’ll Zelle or pay via PayPal friends and family if I have complete confidence in the seller, or I’d be ok with a loss should something go awry. Just be a smart shopper, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is a red flag.

Post removed 

I am more conservative than some. If I purchased used I would purchase from a company like Echo ( I personally know these guys… the are upfront and would never sell anything that was not up to specs) or a local audio dealer. You will still save a lot of money and have no worries about what you receive.

No problem buying used speakers or other equipment used, purchased Magnepan 1.7, 1.7i and 3.7i also Parasound, Pass, Ayer and VPI electronics as well as Soundsmith Cartridge everything has bern as advertised and worked fine. I couldn't afford the equipment I have if purchased new.

I ask the age, condition and if there has ever been a problem.

If possible I try to buy within a drivable distance.