Burning smell

I have McIntosh 1.25 kw mono blocks. They are around 6 years old. One of them has started emitting an electrical burning smell when playing music. It doesn’t do it when just powered up, only when playing . Does anyone have a possible diagnosis of what component may be failing or what is happening ? Thanks

keithjacksontucson

You should stop using the amplifier. Contact McIntosh or bring it to a local authorized McIntosh service network for inspection.

https://mcintoshlabs.com/support/servicenetwork

Call your local Best Buy and see if they can send a technician to your home to diagnose this 158-pound beast.

really , Will Best Buy come check it ou? II thought that was out of their realm.

The worst part for me is getting it up to Phoenix where the nearest McIntosh Tech is. Getting it in and out of the car is brutal, even worse  than the cost

Thanks for all responses. I'm going to try the Best Buy guys if they really come for that

I had it fixed earlier this year.The boards had shorted out. I suspect that the Amp was impacted by lightening strike at some point. That repair cost $4000. The problem may be related in some way

Sir it clearly sounds like safety recall that MUST have warranty. You need to SHAKE Mac Daddy HEAVY so they feel the EARTHQUAKE and listen to you MORE CAREFULLY or as carefully as possible.

You should speak the language of The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If you EVER find ANYONE with same problem, please join together. The more victims of mis-manufacturing scam you find, the easier will Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act work for you to SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE.

I believe you should work even outside of your model, because there are less powerful models built with same pattern of problems! BBB complaint will also PUT PRESSURE. In fact PUTTING PRESSURE is where it must start.