Burn in vs perception

Posting here in speakers, but could probably go in any of the forums. Question of the night: how much of burn in of components is actually burn in of our perception? That is, is burn in partly us becoming accustomed to a change in sound.

I’m listening to my SF Amati Traditions that at first I found a bit strident, but I now find lush, dynamic, and generally brilliant. I bought them as 1-year old demos so theoretically they should have been played enough to be broken in. I haven’t changed anything in my system—I have been working on my room with more stuff, but that’s it.

Sometimes reviewers or arm chair audiophiles (me) will state that said component needs to be plugged in and left alone for weeks until it gels with the system. Could this simply be our own perception burn in OR is something real happening here?

For speakers I can buy it (woofers need to loosen up and all), but I almost always buy used, and I almost alway a) find a difference of a new component (good or bad), and b) in time, I couldn’t tell you what the change was. Maybe just me, but our brains are pretty good level setters.

I willing to bet this can be a large part of “burn in”.

w123ale

I never put much stock in electronics burn in until I got a pair of PS audio M700s. After the first 3 days, I wanted to send them back to the hell from whence they came. There was lots of blare and glare in the upper mid/lower treble range. It was overwhelming and made me wince to listen. But I had 30 days to decide so I let them play. On about the 5th day I noticed a change and by the 7th day they had really balanced out and sounded very smooth and clean and just pleasant. I kept them and have really enjoyed them since. I now believe in amplifier break in (at least for the PS Audio M700s). I don’t think this was just a case of psychoacoustic (my brain) break in. I think the amps changed (for the better).

The story I really found intriguing was the gentleman who claims at high volumes the wires in his system move. Perhaps it was critical listening and his chair was electric, damn it’s hard to find people to A/B that theory.

Cheers