Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Hxt1 and Lew,
It would be great to see your work/systems on this site. I hope you will post some photos in the future.
Thanks, Oregon
John, the slate is said to have natural CLD like properties, as layers of different sediment make up the slate itself, each layer itself differing slightly in composition, density, etc. Apparently slate has excellent damping properties because of it's makeup, and will not 'ring' like a crystalline rock will (granite, marble, etc) I just look at slate as a CLD on top of the CLD so to speak! And I can confirm that no bass is being drained whatsoever as I listen now to the 200g pressing of Pictures at an Exhibition"..... Wow!
I will once again dismantle this little beastie, and clean, lube, reassemble the bearing, motor and idler wheel, before locking it all down for another week of listening..
Hello Hxt1;

What are the dimensions & thickness of your slate deck? I was wondering why you decided to add the slate top to a ply/mdf plinth ( what is the mdf/plywood plinth dimensions) versus creating an all slate plinth or a two tier slate plinth with slate blocks sandwiched in between?

Lewm--Where did you find the information that additional weight is concentrated on the periphery (a la the Shindo platter) Do you know the ratio of weight distribution on the Shindo platter. It could be possible to take a regular Garrard platter and add lead shims to the outer edges.

Thanks
Opus
Opus, I prefer the looks of the Boxed CLD plinth by far to the slab or skeleton plinth, and I wanted to have a modular system where I can sub the slate for mdf, ply, hardwood, lucite, etc. whithout having to build a whole new plinth each time.

The plinth is 20" x 16"
the Slate is 20"x16" x 1"

the box is 5" x 1" solid oak.

I don't know why someone would want to go modding the heck out of such a cool looking deck as the Garrard, when they could just buy a Lenco and be done with it!! ;-)