Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Lewm, the best result so far has been with an SME V and a Kondo-IOj. I always thought the SME was a stellar performer but somehow lacking the 'soul' that allows you to feel the pace and rhythm or "being there" with the music. On the Lenco, the SME is a different arm and it truly brings out the best in the Kondo - such that no one element trumps any other in the presentation of the whole. I have a renewed respect now for the SME, especially when the damping is applied judiciously.
Steve
Hi Kravi4ka,
Congratulations on your excellent arm purchase. I am sure
that you will have years of enjoyment out of this beauty.
Yes, overhang is 19.6 mm, but you can also experiment. I
position the arm basically like JNantais does in his setups. Except that I may be positioned a little higher vertically as I use a round 3-4 mm rubber spacer under the base of the arm to keep it steady. I don't place the arm on the metal part of the Lenco. I rotated the table (like in JN's pictures)and place the arm on the plinth proper. See JN's Bauhaus Lenco. I did not make a separate arm cutout though, so the arm will rest on laqured MDF. I have some quarter inch bubunga hardwood to make an arm platform and an aluminum one as well as a pink ivory piece. I will experiment as to the best sounding one and laminate it on the plinth. I have a higher platform probably because the Shelter 501 is a taller cartridge. VTF is adjusted with a hex key at the base of the tonearm. Be careful when adjusting because the arm gets excited when things get set in motion and it does'nt take much to get the counterweight swinging and then the arm as it rests on the cup to swing.
Also,always remember that those little tonearm leads are what holds the whole contraption together, just don't force
them to support the weight of the arm by dangling one part. Always use two hands when you handle the arm. I like to grasp from on top at the bearing the armand base together
while supporting the bottom of the base with other hand.
I don't have a digital camera to post a picture. Sorry. I tried the arm with a factory modified benz silver before my 501 and it played better than when it was on a modified Rega. I have an OC 9 and a Rega Elys kicking around but ever since I mounted the 501 I have not bothered to hear these on the RS labs. As to polishing the cup, I have not done anything to mine. For set up info, I have the original papers included in the box, and basically they are the same as the Sakura info. On their website,look for the diagram
of thearm as seen from the top riding in an arc accross the record. Follow that at 19.6 underhang and your in business. The junction box that I had removed from the arm and wired direct was suggested by the designer of the arm
in Japan. I had requested from Yoshi the Sakura head guy a full four foot long arm lead to go directly to the pre.
He called the arms designer to order but he cannot supply that length. As an alternative he recomended to try the mod.After about 2 hours of breaking in it already sounds much more open and direct. Very very worth the effort and cost to do.
Start playing the arm and experiment with VTA, underhang,VTF to your hearts content. You will discover a whole new world of flexibility. For me it was my greatest upgrade. Well that and the Lenco that beat my Linn/Lingo which I am still trying to sell. Enjoy Kravi4ka.
dear Tessera,
Thank you so much for the thorough and complete answer, it was a real pleasure to read it. I have not made any progress yet, but it will happen soon :))
I am really pleased with my L75 / heavy plinth as mentioned earlier in this thread but I do have a discernable hum from the motor particulalrly sensitive to my low output Kondo-IOj. Has anyone got a proven solution, mu metal, copper etc.?

Steve
Rs, An SME V is not in the cards for me, but I will let you know how the Triplanar/Koetsu works when I finally do get the tt from UPS. (Yes, it's been more than 3 weeks since Jean shipped the Lenco to me, with many snafus on the part of the UPS customs house that was supposed to clear the shipment, and I still don't have the Lenco. Ottawa is about 600 mi from my house, and now I wish I had driven up to get the Lenco in person.) The hum you are reporting: are you sure it is a hum induced by the motor, or could it be rumble (I truly hope not)? I am not aware that motors can induce hum in MC cartridges, is why I ask.