Boulder 866 vs CODA CSiB

Does anyone have any experience with the above?

hedwigstheme

I had an 866 and Coda #8.  The Boulder was superior.  It's a stellar integrated.  If I didn't have an improved DAC--the one in the 866 is very good, but not $10k+ good--and it had an IR remote instead of RF, I may very well still have it today.

There was a review of the Boulder 866 on Stereophile that compared it to the KRELL k-300i. I found that interesting since I owned the K-300i and the CODA CSiB. All 3 are integrated amps.

BTW CODA #8 is an amp (I owned it too), so the comparison with the 866 should likely have used preouts of the 866 (if it has them). Otherwise, it is not an apple-to-apples comparison.

@yyzsantabarbara --thank you.  I wish that the Stereophile review gave more than a "read between the lines" comparison. What are your thoughts on the CODA CSiB vs Krell K-300i?

It definitely was a "read between the lines" comparison. The reviewer loved the K-300i out of all the integrated amps he had reviewed over the course of a year or 2. If you read his other reviews on itegrated amps during that timeframe the preference for the KRELL seems evident.

The KRELL is technically way more advanced than the CODA. The CODA is all analog while the KRELL is a digital hub, that is if you get the OK internal DAC. I think getting the DAC is a no brainer for the HDMI inputs alone. I used an external DAC and the internal DAC.

The KRELL DUO XD lineup is very smooth and not fatiguing sound. It has good detail and lots of power. I drove the hard to drive Thiel CS3.7. I liked the K-300i so much that I went separates with the Duo 175XD amp. I had too much gear and could not justify keeping the k-300i. The K-300i also has a nicely implemented ROON READY, with adjustable volume from the iOS app (volume is done in analog on the k-300i).

The CODA CSiB is like the CODA #8 amp and the CODA 07x preamp joined together. I had all 3 so I think I can give a good opinion on that. The CSib does not have the digital integration as the K-300i but that may not be important. The CSiB is a great bargain (though price went up) and sounds a little less smooth than the KRELL. Not worse just a bit different. If you decide on the CSib make sure you get the most recent iteration.

Personally, I would do this instead of the k-300i or CSib integrated. Buy a Benchmark LA4 preamp and either get a Krell Duo XD amp or the CODA #8. My Livingroom system is setup this way with the Benchmark HPA4 (same as LA4) and a CODA #16. The LA4 is a great preamp if you have a great amp. I tried the LA4 with the Duo 175XD and the CODA #8.