Bluesound mode not really cutting it

Running a bluesound node. Sounds pretty good but I feel like I can do better. I'm running a Black ice Dac thru a Schiit saga plus into a Mac Mc 152 and Lsa signature 20's. Looking to upgrade node I have 2 to 3 k to spend. Hard to find decent reviews. Any suggestions. Listen to blues classic rock and anything that sounds good. Have tenants downstairs so listen at moderate levels and kinda prefer realistic or almost tube or liquid sound. 

sgnevling

@jetter , I too have the Node 2i with the PD Creative LPS and was happy with it. I am a tinkerer and am currently using a NUC with Roon or a Volumio streamer. For our casual listening I am invested in the Bluesound ecosystem and it is nice being able to connect and transfer music between devices.

I know it’s not their main focus, but I wish Bluesound would develop a standalone streamer to compete with the lower level devices from Aurender,  Innuous, and similar level. I think that market doesn’t care about the upgraded headphone output, larger touchscreen, and built-in DAC.

You have to realize a $600 streamer is maybe $150 from China 

you can’t expect much ,

innuos has a nice little one $1500 retail , then upgrade power supply later to a LPS .

I’ll be in the minority here - but the problem is not the node. It’s your DAC or preamp. The node is just serving the file so to speak. 

There is nothing wrong with the Bluesound Node when used with a competent external DAC. It wouldn’t constitute a bottleneck even if your system were anchored with $20K speakers. Its UI is better than most as well.

You would be far better off investing that $3K into better speakers, and to a lesser extent, better amplification. 

I am not familiar with the Black Ice DAC, but if it’s one of those that incorporates a tube buffer, then chances are you’d get a considerable improvement by moving to one of the perfect-measuring “Chi-Fi” units from Topping or SMSL. Even if, say, your system was anchored with $12K speakers, the Node and a Topping DAC would not be your bottleneck. It’s far more likely that the room or those $12K speakers would still be your bottleneck. 

+1 CXN100 or its budgetary ed. MXN10

The MXN10 is a joke compared to the Node IME. In addition to the fact the Cambridge doesn’t sound any better, its UI was obviously designed for the tech illiterate. It allows almost zero customization of anything. The owners might as well use the native app of their chosen streaming service.

For a couple hundred more, the Eversolo A6 is a superior unit in every regard.