Blind squirrels and such-Ncore 400

Prior to a couple months ago, I had never read an electronics schematic and didn't know a transistor from a transformer. Nor had I ever soldered. This weekend a pair of Ncore 400 blocs were successfully cobbled together despite the limitations noted. Youtube and DIY to the rescue. Solders are probably ugly-I don't see well enough to know, but it works. Big sound. More extension on both ends, controls the bottom, nice inner detail. A little phasey sounding right now with vocalists in particular being a vague with respect to location. Will see what happens as they settle in. Point? If you've been thinking about taking this project on-go for it! If a visually limited old geezer can figure these out, almost anyone can.
128x128wideload
Helps to pay attention to speaker cable polarity. Once corrected, the image location locked in. I'm smiling.
You certainly started your DIY career with a nice amp, congratulations! No matter how good (or not) your eyes are, in this hobby a lighted magnifier is a handy tool.

Francis
Good for you!I've often thought of trying my hand at building a tube amp.Might just go for it when I get the time:)
well, whad-da-ya know, the blind squirrel found a nut!! ;-)
congrats on building the amp & not being daunted by never having done this sort of thing before....
wish many others picked up a soldering iron with the same disregard to past experience.....
You will have to wait hundreds of hours before you hear what these amps can do. I was very happy with the detail, soundstage, drive, etc. early on, but the warmth and emotion didn't show up for a loooooong time. Be patient. You will be rewarded.

You might want to take a closer look at your solder joints just to make sure you don't have problems around the corner.
Thanks one and all. You've collectively got me thinking I should get a lighted glass and upgraded parts-at least a power cable connector that has not ever been partially melted-and have another go at it. Then sit back and enjoy while they get better and better.

My better has been away since the day I finished the amps. Thank goodness it's chilly here at night so everyone should have their windows shut. I find them enjoyable enough at low volume but they shine more brightly when flexing a little muscle. Chair dancing. Four really late nights. I forgot to set the alarm early this morning and woke up a little later an hour from work a half hour before work. She's home. It's quiet. Probably just in time.
Well I went ahead and rebuilt them. I used a lighted magnifying glass and better bits and parts. Still can't solder worth a darn but it works.  I am imagining that I hear a little bit smoother response. Could be just that, my imagination. Next step, off they go to Ric Schultz at EVS for his magic.