Best way to spike a large tower ( 100 lbs +)

So once you finally get them right where you want them, and wish to spike them right there, what is the best way? Im on carpet so I can't slide them once they are spiked. Is it safe to tilt and do one side, than tilt back for the other? Seems like that could put a lot of pressure on the first 2 spikes and maybe damage the base. If I flip them upside down and put all 4 spikes in I will never get them back in the exact spot. Is there a simple trick Im missing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
winoguy17

Showing 2 responses by n80

Spike or not to spike. Seems like one of those issues for which the conventional wisdom will always be a moving target.

My speakers weigh 130 pounds each. I have them spiked on a carpeted suspended floor. I can't hear _any_ difference between spiked and not spiked.

But they are tall and seem more stable on spikes so I leave them in (as recommended by the manufacturer).

Mine came (used) without spikes. Spikes from Aerial Acoustics are silly overpriced in my tightwad opinion. So I made my own from grade 8 bolts.

To move the speakers I walk them spike to spike. No way that is going to stress my spikes. Its heck on the carpet though.

Hurt my back....bad....trying to lift these speakers while kneeling on the floor. It is less about the weight than weight+height. If I need to move them again will put the spikes on furniture sliders.