Best used turntable(s) around $1500.00 for playing metal and rock

I am looking for opinions and advice. I Have a Carver CT-17 pre-amplifier, and (2) Carver PM 600 main amplifiers wired in mono off each channel (left and right) to capture the full 600 amps from each. I am driving (2) Klipsch chorus speakers and (1) Sunfire True architectural 8"  (claimed 1800 watt) self powered subwoofer. I am always looking to increase the headroom that accentuates "metal", as well as get the best sound. (departing from the title of this turntable discussion I will add), ... I am planning to add (2) more speakers and another powered sub. I figured sticking to Klipche and getting a larger sunfire was the direction, but always look for input and educational information.
       I presently have a Onkyo CP-1150F, and for a low end turntable, it's spec's, performance and sound are decent, but I really want to upgrade using good information to guide me, and haven't found many metal guys who are on these high-end audio conversations that are helping. I get all my metal information about audio for my home from metalheads in bands that love the headroom great equipment provides at home. Unfortunately, most of the guys I know aren't Vinyl fans, ....  but I am. Any suggestions welcomed.
willymontana

Showing 1 response by big_greg

I'm not familiar with that turntable, so am not sure how good it is.  Your money might be better spent on a new cartridge and a phono stage.  If you're using the phono stage on the carver preamp, that is probably a weak link.  Something like the Hana SL and a Parks Puffin would be under your budget.   

You should also listen to some other subwoofers before adding another Sunfire sub.  I had one of their 8" "true subwoofers" a long time ago and it sounded like a little fart box compared to other subs I've owned.  Maybe their newer ones are better, but even if they are, a bigger better sub (or multiple subs) will be a lot more "metal" than that little 8" sub.

Unless you want a certain kind of look for your turntable, get one that will sound best with any kind of music.  If it will play classical or jazz or hip-hop and sound good, it will sound good with metal.  

Some used turntables that fit in your budget and maybe leave some money for a phono stage - Music Hall 5.X or 7.X, or a Clearaudio Emotion or Marantz TT15S1.

As others have mentioned, isolation of the turntable is important if you want to play loud.