Best TT under $1k

I’m looking to get into vinyl but don’t really no where to begin. I’ve been doing ample research on what TT to buy but am seeking the opinions of the A-gon community. I’m looking to spend under a grand, $750 if I can get away with it. (new or used)

Some units that I’ve looked at online:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable – $599
Rega Planar 2 Turntable – $675
VPI Cliffwood Turntable – $900
Rega Planar 3 Turntable – $945
Technics SL-1200MK2

Criteria in order of importance:

- Sound quality
- Must include cart
- Excellent build quality
- Upgrade-able. Usable now but can upgrade down the road.
- Easy to setup/ use/ maintain

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
I too vote for the Pioneer PLX-1000 with some mods. Which is what I did and now I'm cartridge rolling.  Currently using ML440b and looking to get AT150MLX. Very good TT for the money and it's kinda cool to look at the old look and the eye candy lights.....
Change the footers, Funkfirm mat, record clamp or weight, KAB tonearm mod (later down the road).
@elubow - My opinion.

Once burned, shame on you. Twice burned, shame on me. Three times burned without any success is a significant enough sampling for me.  rega?  Never again..

I've had three VPI tables and two AR tables that all worked and sounded great right out of the box.  Nothing to send back.  All five outperformed the rega tables significantly.  I'm not about to start going through a large sampling of rega tables just to find one that sounds as good as an AR.  I'll take my chances on real turntables and enjoy the music without figuring out shipping options to return yet another poor-performing rega table.

And my comments and opinions have been significantly softened for this thread.  But that's just me.

If your experience has been wonderful, then good for you.  

“Once burned, shame on you. Twice burned, shame on me.” 
At least you did better than George Bush!

No one expects you to sample every table Rega makes. But to make such derogatory comments like “ I’ll take my chances on REAL (my caps) tables” when your experience has been somewhat limited, seems to me excessive and unfair. Many vinyl enthusiasts try different tables, some to their liking, some not. But I’ve rarely seen someone denigrate a whole company and its products with the fervor that you have. 

Thanks anyway for “softening” your opinions though I think comments like the above do not exactly qualify!
Awhile back, I was thinking about either selling my upgraded Rega P5 or continue to add mods to it and even posted a thread here on AudiogoN asking opinions/suggestions on which way to go.
I`ve added a number of upgrades since and I`m no longer looking to sell at the moment.

In car terms, if my stock Rega P5 was a Big Block Chevy 454" the current version is like a  540" and now the only thing that originally came from GM is just the block.

So it`s not really a Chevy motor anymore but what a massive improvement in performance !

Same thing now goes for my P5, about the only thing left that`s Rega is the plinth/motor with the upgraded Rega TTPSU.

It`s technically no longer a Rega but who cares..it`s been fun building it little by little and hearing what each addition 'brings to the table'...pun totally intended :)
Doing it that way, made for a nice learning experience and each step showed improvement. Some subtle, some NOT !

In it`s current form I`d put it up against a VPI or Rega RP8/10 though I`ve heard neither :) 

In short....The Rega tables have a great aftermarket upgrade path that will allow you to move up at your own pace and enjoy each step of the way.

Bpoletti

Did/are you running that AR ES1 turntable with the stock AR tomearm? I owned that table a long time ago with the stock arm and that table absolutely stunk with that arm. I also owned the Rega RP-6, completely stock and it ran all over that AR turntable. If your AR turntable beat the Rega, I would be almost certain you put a higher quality arm on it. AND probably one that cost more than the 'table itself. Let's compare apples to apples and go completely stock on both AR and Rega, and I will guarantee you the Rega will be better. My mileage on this won't vary, it is spot on.....