Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

My large Heils'.....it's difficult to find woofs that can keep up with them....

I second the visit to Volti HQ !
Greg really went out of his way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. We listened for hours to several of his models, even a prototype. Without a doubt a session unlike anything I’ve experienced. Definitely not the comparatively short auditions at a hifi shop or a show. He really went out of his way to make sure I was more than satisfied with what I was bringing home.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm for Volti. That's a long trip and I am worried about the absence of a return policy, but I'm going to research more.

And I checked out Heil but their website doesn't give any information on speakers or did I miss something?

I would take a good look at Volti’s measurements. The frequency response is very poor on axis. There is a ton of comb filtering off axis too. The time domain is very poor. The box however looks dead quiet and they look great. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/volti-audio-razz-loudspeaker-measurements

As to the relevance of transient abilities in a speaker and all that implies, it seems that area has now become a bit washed out, subjective in nature and with brands rather than general physics and design as the prevalent factor. That being said, if we’re speaking leading edge cleanliness/transient prowess in most of the audible frequency spectrum, and effortless at that at most any desired SPL (i.e.: easy of reproduction is not trivial here), large size and efficiency in addition to proper design/technology - from my chair - is inescapable.

@phusis . I think my last comment was fairly self explanatory.

There are several metrics that play into audiophile nirvana, transients being one of them. As long as a speaker tackles several of these metrics above a certain acceptable threshold, one might start raving about it. But, when you are locked into a design space, you can’t excel at everything.

I understand you’re a horn connesieur, speaking of horns, I had the older K2 9800 for a while. I have some big unheard of Yamaha PA in storage that probably beat that older JBl into dust (or what i remember of it). I may aspire to a Meyer Sound bluehorn or something similar at some future date. There are others who seem to do horns better than jbl, imo.

Can/does something like a Borresen transient wonder do the same things (other enjoyable things) as some of these big horns? NOT...different designs, different compromises.

The avg audiophile thinks that he gets the best of everything if he just spent enough on his 1 wonder pair of speakers....NOT. (he probably doesn’t have enough space or cash to accommodate more than 1 pair of very different types of speaker designs. Hence, he may either start lying to himself or the sales guy lied to him.)