Best speaker brands for transient response

Hello all, first post / longtime lurker on here. I have really appreciated all I've learned from following threads on here -- much appreciated.

I've had three speakers in my house for a few years, and have learned that transient response is the quality I value most. I'm researching upgrade options and would appreciate recommendations on brands.

Currently I have KLH Model 3s, JBL 4305Ps, and JBL Studio 590s. The sealed KLHs are far superior in transient response / speed / attack. The 4305Ps are pretty good (I'm assuming because they're active) and the 590s, while they do a lot of things well, are relative laggards.

I am assuming that on average a sealed design at any given price point will outperform a ported speaker in this area of performance, but I'm sure there are important exceptions.

I'm also curious if more expensive ported horn speakers (Klipsch heritage line, or the JBL 4349 for example) may deliver equal or better in transient response compared to a lower cost sealed speaker because they're using better drivers, crossovers, etc.

Thank you for any feedback / ideas you have.

tommyuchicago

Paradigms  older Signature line are FAST!

KEFs older Reference line are also.

Tektons are super fast but without the snap impact of those 2. 

I have Paradigm Founder 120Hs now and they are close to the fastness of the Signatures and the KEFs but with better tonality IMO. 

@audiotroy

It seems that you think that cone speakers play louder. OK, we can agree on that.

But the OP is talking about transient response. @sunmoon explains why ESL’s do that better than others, excepting plasma. I don’t understand how your statement "equal and opposite reactions cancel each other out," relates to ESL’s.

If you're willing to buy used, the VMPS RM30, VMPS RM40 with most of the upgrades are extremely dynamic, transparent, and electrostatic like in their sound, with their ribbon mids and tweeters.  They also have multiple cone woofers with passive radiators to handle the bass and mid bass.  Used price for these are between $1800 up to $3500 depending on model and upgrades.  They are adjustable so they can sound great in most rooms and systems.   They are no longer being made as the maker, Brian Cheney, passed away 12 years ago.  Much info on VMPS speakers--Audio Circle.  I've compared them to several highly rated speakers and always preferred them.  I live in the Chicago area if you'd like to hear an awesome pair of RM40 BCSE w/MLS cabinets.  These were the actual reference speakers of Marty DeWulf of Bound For Sound publications.  I bought his pair about 10 years ago.  Every little or big upgrade is easily detected and I've done many.  These are big heavy speakers--66" H and 260 lbs each.

Bob

Magnepans if you have a powerful l, high current amp. (Unless you go to their smaller designs - which are great but still need a fair amount of power). I have 1.7is