Best shipping companies

Looking for suggestions to ship a pair of large speakers from Chicago area to new York area. The seller received a quote of $800. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

referee1

If you are the buyer you don't have much choice.  It is on the seller to package them well and/or find a shipping option.  Many large speakers in original boxes can be shipped ups of fedex ground.  I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS shipped to me for $300.  But the shipper took care of it.  If the shipper just wants a pro to come in and handle it, then $800 is not bad.

For you to try to arrange it you either have to have a pro package or trust the seller to package and he already doesn't want to do it.    

When I am selling, I package and ship myself for very reasonable rates.  But when buying I make sure the shipper understands that his responsibility ends when I recieve them unharmed.  Then I either accept his shipping quote or pass.  Getting involved in shipping just gets you part (or all) of the blame if there is a problem.

Jerry

@referee1

Getting involved in shipping just gets you part (or all) of the blame if there is a problem.

pay for insurance on the parcel, call the shipping company after you have a tracking number - explain to them it’s a pair of speakers and should be handled with care. call them again once the parcel reaches the next stage - on its way to you.

i can’t tell you how many times delivery drivers asked me: so what’s in here?

with speakers (especially large speakers) it would be obvious. it’s always good having reassurance. how much do the speakers weigh?

in my experience, DHL and FEDEx are really good.

What winoguy said. You don't want to deal with shipping damage, it is a hassle.