Best Rock Albums of 2012

I'm hoping for some ideas. Here are just a few I enjoyed.

Mumford & Sons – Babel
Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls
The Avett Brothers – The Carpenter
tbromgard
You need to clarify what a "rock" album is because I would not consider Munford and Sons a "Rock" band.

Bluegrass maybe, or Pop.

When I think rock, I think Staind, Blink182, Breaking Benjamin etc.

So best Rock of 2012........

Not a good year

Both Chevelle and Three Doors Down released greatest hits.

2010 was a better year with

Chevelle - Sci-fi Crimes
Iron Maiden - Final Frontier
Daft Punk - Tron Leagacy

Of course if you consider Re-release on Vinyl!

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Saddness
The Beatles -

I really don't keep up to when an album Is released.
Woudn't call those "rock". Folk rock is more like it. Happens to be right up my alley. I have 2 of the 3 you mentioned. If you like those, try these:

Ben Howard - Every Kingdom
Jack White - Blunderbuss
The Barr Brothers - Self Titled
Angus Stone - Broke Brights
Charlie Mars - Blackberry Light
First Aid Kit - The Big Black And...
Grace Woodroofe - ALways Want
Heartless Bastards - Arrow
Ingrid Michealson - Human Again
Jess Morgan - All Swell
Joe Pug - The Great Despiser
Joshua Radin - Under Water
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
The Lumineers - Self Titled
Nathaniel Rateliff - In Memory Of Loss
Peggy Sue - Acrobats
Phillip Phillips - The World From...
Rue Royale - Guide to an Escape
She Keeps Bees - Nests
The Wishbones - Forever Bound

Enjoy!
On the pop side, but Some Nights by FUN. is remarkable. The one I listened to the most even over very good efforts by Dylan, Willie Nelson and the Boss.
The new Django Django album is excellent, as are the new Wedding Present, Soundgarden and Dinosaur Jr albums, in addition to others mentioned here (and others that I'm not thinking of right now).

So, not exactly a bumper crop, but like any year, there have been some good albums.
Jack White - Blunderbuss
ZZ Top - La Futura
Lindsey Buckingham - One Man Show (Live)

are the 3 that are still in heavy rotation for me.
Lots of good alt. albums this year but fairly slim pickens in rock.

Soundgarden- King Animal. Keepers of the flame of Seattle grunge.

Neil Young-- Psychedelic Pill. The long songs take it.

Beach House-- Bloom. Best electropop.

Beachwood Sparks-- Tarnished Gold. The Byrds for today.

Bob Mould-- Silver Age. Aging well.

Dirty Projectors-- Swing Lo Magellan. Cerebral & nervy like The Talking Heads.

Patti Smith-- Banga. Forever young and authentic.

All on LP.
Tame Impala – Lonerism (retro 60's)

Grimes – Visions (Canadian electronic)

Jack White – Blunderbuss

Beach House – Bloom
.... while I loved "Blunderbuss" @ "Sun" (Cat Power), they were, from a sonic standpoint, too much digititis, (etched), too much of one frequency or another, not a record to sit and really enjoy, (lp).
Slaw-
I gotta check out Calexico. Ive been hearing alot about them lately, and saw them on...Jimmy Falon, I think...sounded great. Any suggestions what lp to start with?
I have Calexico,Carried to Dust, on CD,So Im not able to comment on the LP,But it sounds pretty good.
Tbromgard,

If you are interested in Calexico, I'd start with "Algiers" ...definitely one of the best records of 2012. As Ray noted "Carried To Dust" is also a great LP and is well recorded. The band recently released all of their live albums from their sold out "Road Atlas" box set as individual LPs. You might like the instrumental "Toolbox" LP.
I heard Alabama Shakes on World Cafe today while I was driving home from work. I almost had to pull my car over I was so overwhelmed by the lead singers voice. Not only that but the whole band is fantastic. When I came home I played it for my wife who gave me the thumbs up to proceed with pursuing this band.

It's funny how taste in music genre differs. The op enjoys Mumford & Sons and I do not. We can both agree that Alabama Shakes is a great band.
My last tag for 2012 is Yep Rock's vinyl release of John Wesley Harding's New Deal(1996). This advances the argument for re-release on vinyl of great titles from the past few decades that were initially limited to CD.
Thanks for the recs on Calexico.

Donjr-glad you dig Alabama Shakes-I look forward to futurelps for sure. Do you have any Mumford n Sons? True its more folk than rock, but upon a few listens I was hooked. I like the first lp best but both are very enjoyable to me. Perhaps give Sigh another listen?

There were a tremendous number of rock reissues on vinyl that I bought too: Pumpkins, Beatles, Doors. All pretty good.
Tbromgard. I'll have to give Mumford n Sons another whirl. I noticed they just featured them on World Cafe. You can see them and Alabama Shakes at www.worldcafe.npr.org. The Shakes are interviewed and play four songs in the studio and its fantastic.
Alt J's first album An Awesome Wave is one of the best albums I have heard in years. If you like Radiohead, I think you will love this album,although their sound is very unique and differnt from RH.Here are a few songs.
Breezeblocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeMiVU77wo

Tessallate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6BwvDcANg

Fitzpleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvNPORFXpc

Something Good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYjOVo5IEw