Best Phono You've Heard Under $2200

Tube or SS, doesn't matter. Just want to know the best you've heard/owned.

gochurchgo

Showing 5 responses by avanti1960

Sutherland 20 20.  So clean and detailed it doesn't sound like vinyl.  Does everything well.  

@gochurchgo 

The 20/20 is a dual mono design and has more filtering caps than the Insight.  Look at the chassis pice. 

The Duo is a dual chassis dual power supply design with yet even more filtering caps.  

Ron Sutherlae would be happy to explain the diffrences via call or e-mail.  

I love the sound of my 20/20- with optional LPS.   

@gochurchgo 

feel free to be excited.  the 20/20 sounds clean, dynamic, airy and energetic.  

good for all types of cartridges.  possibly better suited to a tube system or a more laid back cartridge and turntable, high mass belt drive .   an all solid state system may benefit more from a tube phono stage.  

what phono preamp do you have now?

The LPS was an add on for me, i had the 20 20 for a year or so before it became available.  

It added noticeable improvement in dynamics and energy and seemed to be slightly cleaner sounding.  It did not seem to affect the tonal balance.  

To fill in the midbass have you looked at loading adjustments, reducing gain, reducing the length and capacitance of the cable to your turntable,  all depending on your current cartridge?  

also not having been run in a while the 20 20 does need some re burn in time to charge the numerous filtering caps on the chassis.  some say 200 hrs of power on time.