Best Options For A Tubed Preamp - $2500 Or Less, Preferably Used To Maximize Value

As the title says, I'm interested in your thoughts on what are the ebst options for a tube based preamp, $2500 or under. I generally buy used to maximize what I can get. Definitely prefer a warmer sound signature, but not to the degree where details and impact are lost. 

What are the best values out there, in this price range, in your opinion? Any expertise, perspectives and experience greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

nightfall

Showing 3 responses by ghdprentice

I would recommend getting a used Audio Research LS ~ 24… 25, 26… the highest number you can find. Alternatively a Conrad Johnson preamp… as far back as you need to go.

Both of these companies have been at the forefront of high end preamp design for fifty years. They have made some of the best preamps of all times and you get extremely musical preamps that are constructed like tanks made to last a lifetime.

OP,

The importance of matching fully balanced and single ended components depends on the specific components and on where your overall system is. Typically, especially with really high end components like Audio Research, the difference is minuscule to non-existent compared with the advantage of the component sound. I would unhesitatingly recommend the preamp connected to a non balanced amp. When your system is just about at the pinnacle of perfection annd your splitting hairs… it still might not make a difference. Importantly, Audio Research and Conrad Johnson ant the like are designed to be incredibly musical and sound great regardless of the connection you use.