Best EXTERNAL DAC suggestions

Yes, I have the latest addition to the Bluesound node, I guess third generation, prior to the most recent anniversary X addition. I know they have improved the inner DACS with each version but now I’m asking what would be some thing better in your opinion and one that is in the ballpark.

I have Cornwall Heritage IV speakers, and I am currently running a NAD C 316BEE amp( which pairs well with Klipsch 102 db) at 40 WPC. In the winter my Mancave is heated by a tube Cary SLI-80, UL /Triode 4/8 OHMS. 
either way, I love the ability of the Bluesound node to be my preamp and facilitating my Apple Airplay 2 and the eArc into the TV/CD. Mancave is treated, speakers and me complete a 6’ triangle.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmoose89

I didn’t listen to both but did build a theory that guided me a try Mogami.My Wharfedale Lintons are tweaked by designer Peter Comeau to deliver a rich low end and uses crossover right at their big box baffle step. Love ‘em but they don’t have a natural sparkle to cymbal crashes or acoustic strings through their fabric tweeters.

As I was digging into the specs and reviews on Canare and Mogami, Mogami had lower capacitance, and was sometimes noted as being “less dark.”

These two brands are similar in price and performance…and are very popular in live stage use and recording studios. I’m impressed with the audible improvement I got from Mogami but it was not a side by side choice over Canare and I suspect I would have seen improvement from either brand.

I’ve watched the audiophile chats here with great interest over the last couple years and have reached the conclusion that the line between snake oil and improved performance is highly subjective. Part of my fun in the hobby is acquire knowledge and apply it to a MidFi budget. I have incredible sound per dollar thanks in large part to knowledge shared here.

My day job for 40 years has been at the steering wheel of a successful boutique ad agency that provides marketing strategy, brand positioning, creative services and placements. IMO no money is wasted if the buyer gets what they wanted, it’s all about marginal utility. I’m thrilled at my $4k system and it is entirely possible that my neighbor gets equal satisfaction out of a theoretical $40k system.

All cables are low pass filters of some sort, and in a high resolution stereo every one will probably sound a bit different at first use. How much that is worth is up to each purchaser.

Hands down beats the Bluesound and under $1k.

Topping D70 Pro Sabre, has to be Pro which is basically the MKII. I have one here at work, a Topping G5, a Mytek Brooklyn; and a T+A DAC 200 at home, as well as a iFi Pro iDSD (MkI, not signature) and this D70 Pro holds its own, very impressive at the price point. Can be used in Preamp mode, missing a headphone amp. 

Not many on this side of the fence care to research. But reading up on Audio Science review you can hear and learn comments from the guys (and gals) who design and build these things...past the pretty boxes. 

@pennfootball71 

The OP has a $1,000 budget and you suggest a Lampizator Baltic 4 which lists for $6,850?

Let them eat cake.

I’ve got a Node and love it paired with my MHDT Orchid DAC that has an output tube. Tube rolling is fun since the sound signature changes accordingly. I also will be buying a Teddy Pardo linear power supply to improve the Node (streaming).