Best Cd Player for $2000 used

I'm looking for a used cd player thats around $2000 dollars. I've considered the Audio Research Cd2 and the Classe CDP-1 anything else I should consider?
tbonephile
Carl,how about adding a 4th owner review of the CD 50 at audio review.com?(Also audio web and audio asylum) There sure can not be enough reviews posted on any gear that we own and enjoy.It sure can not hurt and can only contribute to informing the current, new, and potential audiophiles.
Yes, I'll get around to it at some point. I'd hate to write 3 separate reviews, though. And, wouldn't it diminish my credibility if I just posted the same one at the 3 sites? I think it would. What we need is for someone to review both the CD50 and CD55 in Stereophile. Anyone chummy with you-know-who? And perhaps even better nowadays, TAS.
How about a Meridian 506.20 brand new for around that, or one used for a little less. I have owned much more expensive players but would never give mine up. Sounds great and I like it better than the 508.24
Sony CDP-Xa7ES. $3,000 retail price and under $2,000 used. This is an awesome sounding CD player.
Hi Carl,owner reviews are most popular at A R,so they would by far offer the best exposure.
My vote is for the Meridian 508.24 (if you are going to be using a preamp, otherwise it sounds like the Resolution Audio player would be great) There is no way that the 506.20 sounds better than the 508.24, I have heard both head to head and the 506.20 sounds broken compared to the 508.24. The 506.20 has been replaced by the 506.24, which sounds significantly better. If you can find one for around 2000.00 I don't think you are going to find a better player than the 508.24
I have been lucky enough to have the Sony Xa-7Es, the Classe CDP-1, ARC CD-2 and Levinson 39 over the last three or so years. All of these are very good players. The ARC CD-2 was, perhaps, the best balanced overall, and the Classe the most romantic on female vocals..such as Diana Krall. But time has taken it's toll on all of these, and that is why you see so many for sale. Almost any inexpensive DVD player with a Bel Canto DAC-1, or other DAC that upsamples will give better results than any older one box unit. Just another view point....food for thought. Good luck. Jim
I have been lucky enough to have the Sony Xa-7Es, the Classe CDP-1, ARC CD-2 and Levinson 39 over the last three or so years. All of these are very good players. The ARC CD-2 was, perhaps, the best balanced overall, and the Classe the most romantic on female vocals..such as Diana Krall. But time has taken it's toll on all of these, and that is why you see so many for sale. Almost any inexpensive DVD player with a Bel Canto DAC-1, or other DAC that upsamples will give better results than any older one box unit. Just another view point....food for thought. Good luck. Jim
May I suggest the Muse model 5 transport and 2+ DAC. They perform the best when used thru the 13W3 interface. I consider this a "2 box" player and go for about $1500-1600 used. I have had a lot of CD players thru my system, including some of the ones above and this is the only one that got stuck for a couple of years, only to be ousted by the Model 8/296 and not because there was any radical difference on normal CD play back. I found no radical difference from the players above but there was a certain musical "solidity" about the Muse's presentation. I just kept coming back to it to listen to music. Very musically satisfying. The Model 5/2+ combo is rather rare on the used scene, but well worth the effort.
I am in agreement with the Resolution cd50; however, if you could stretch your budget a bit, you could get the cd55 and have true state-of-the-art sound from the current cd standard. Many of the above mentioned cd players have spent time in my system and I always went back to the Res. I owned a cd50 for abt 2 yrs, and have just taken delivery of a cd55 and it is phenomenal. I'm the one who turned John Marks onto the cd50 for his wallace steven's stereo in TAS. Stereophile shouldn't have anything to do with the cd55, they'd just diminish it to appease their high dollar adverts from levinson & krell. You can email me and I'll give you a good place to get a deal on a cd55 if you're interested.
Soupcon, thanks for your input. I just meant that more people would likely see it if sphl got it, but you are right, the review itself would likely be invalid and hurt more than help...although there are several at TAS that might screw it up, too.
In that price range(or perhaps a few more$$$)you may be able to grab a second hand BAT VK-D5. It is a superb unit with an absolutely stunning midrange portrayal. Highly recommended. Good Luck