Best Bookshelf/Monitors Speakers? Suggestions

I am new to hifi, and looking for a pair for pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers, preferrably under 2k, to pair with a Mcintosh ma6450 100wpc. I was originally looking at the B&W CM1, but they are very inefficient(84db), so i was thinking about the CM5, or even the 805S ( both 88db). I feel like I am paying a lot for the name with B&W though, and may be missing out on more lesser known speakers.

I am not necessarily looking for the most accurate speaker, but rather a speaker that is dynamic and creates and wide and deep soundstage. bass extension is also important to me.

I have read about the proac tablette 8 sigs, reference 3a decapo, but im not sure if the de capos are a good choice with my ss amp, and if the tablette 8 sigs will have enough bass.

Obviously I would prefer to audition them, but if i can get a highly recommended pair of used speakers such as the decapo that would normally cost much more new, for the same price as a new pair cm5 (1500) i feel like id be better off. what do you think? Thanks for your help.

Extra infor that may be important:
I live in a high-rise so would like to avoid using a sub.
My Room is approx. 16x17.
Couch (main listening position) is about 8-10 feet from where the speakers will be.
Speakers will be about 7 feet apart.
Probably about 1 foot from the wall behind them.
farjamed
The Reference 3a would do well,minimal crossover and good dynamics.Possibly the Gallo.Can you build a cabinet??
Maybe look into a pair of used Proacs. I had a pair of the 2.8 that I bought used from a dealer for about 2k. These were unbelieveably good sounding speakers. They had amazing bass response and were very effecient. I drove them with a VAC Rennaissance 70/70 signature tube amp. Imaging, soundstage, midrange and their new tweeters make this speaker a giant killer.
There are several Usher Be-718s (aka Tiny Dancer) available in your price range. They should satisfy you in terms of soundstaging and bass capabilities, and although they'd probably open up a bit more with more power I'd be surprised if you were unhappy given your stated preferences.

Also there are a few pairs of Silverline SR17s available as well, and they will also throw a wide and deep soundstage and probably be fine in the bass department as well.

Both of these manufacturers are well respected, and if it turned out they don't work for you you could sell them with no/minimal loss. B&W certainly makes good speakers, but given your stated preferences I'd go for one of these first. Proac is also a good choice.

One note, if you're really looking for a deep soundstage you'll need to pull your speakers out at least a couple feet more. With monitors it would be relatively easy to pull them out for listening and push them back when you're done, and that'll really let a good speaker open up quite a bit more. Once you try it you'll never go back.

Best of luck.
I'm selling a pair of ProAc Tablette Reference Sig's....if you live in the NYC area you could give them a try....